5 - Let the Games Begin

"You what?" I spluttered.

"I said, 'do you want to be my girlfriend?" Jeremy shrugged as if it was no big deal.

"Yeah, that's what I thought you said." I muttered, not intending for him to hear, but he must have because he said-

"Then why did you say 'you what?'  in a creeped out voice."

"Okay, I meant why?"

"Why what?!" said Jeremy with his cute confused expression. He looked like an adorable little puppy.

My own expression softened slightly. Damn these boys and all their charm. "Why do you want me to be your girlfriend?"

"Oh!" He grinned mischievously whilst looking around. I assumed he was making sure that no-one was eavesdropping. As it was the first day, most people had gone to class early to get seats.

Obviously Jeremy was satisfied as he turned back to me. "Well, there's this girl that I like-"

"Oh God! It's not me is it?" I asked faking horror.

He chuckled. "No silly...you had your chance and you missed it," he added with a wink. "Plus I know that someone else has your heart locked away."

I peered at him confusedly. "What's that supposed to mean Jeremy?" I asked curiously.

He quickly looked away. "Nothing-"

"Jeremy!" I raised my voice slightly.

"What? I said Nothing!" He didn't even wince as I punched him in the arm. Why did I have to be so weak?

"Okay, whatever...though I'm pretty sure you just asked me out."

"If you would just let me finish, then I'll tell you." He said. "P.M.S!" He added again.

"That's getting kind of old. Just saying. Also I'm not even on my period. Now we've been standing here for what, five minutes and you haven't told me anything yet. I'd rather not be late for class first day Jeremy."

"Okay. Okay. So you know Christie Lorenzo?" I nodded my head. "Well I asked her out before school ended last year and she rejected me because she wants a proper relationship and that she thought I was a player-"

"But you are a player." I interrupted him.

"I know that. But I don't want her to think that." He paused looking intently on a scratch on the wall behind me. "That's why I need you to be my pretend girlfriend, to show her that I can have a proper relationship and all that crap."

I nodded my head following his logic. "So let me get this straight. You want me to pretend to be your girlfriend so that she thinks that you are capable of more than just sex, right?"

"Exactly."

"Except. There is one little flaw in this plan." I bit my lip. "Well actually, it's kind of a major flaw, you realise that once she starts to take an interest in you, and you suddenly break up with me, she might see through your plan, and hate you even more."

"Nah, see I got it all planned out. We say that you broke up with me and left me heartbroken and I will look to her for condolence, and then we all live happy ever after." he finished with a flourish.

I raised my eyebrows. "Well I think it's a miracle that you're finally ready to stop messing around and actually have a relationship. I'm just sorry you had to go through all those other girls first."

"So that's a yes?" his brilliant blue eyes sparkled with excitement. Wow, no wonder every girl in the school loved him.

"What's my end of the deal?" I asked first narrowing my eyes.