Chapter Five

Chapter Five

The beach was one of the most accessible places around. And of course, since it was still the summer season, there were loads of people. Some biker dudes were cycling up by the nearby ramps with the skaters, and then there were the kids learning how to roller blade by the boardwalk and of course, the mass of people running to and from the water.

“In all honesty,” Sarah said to me as we climbed off the tailgate. “I do not know how to ride a bike, or even a skateboard.”

“I could teach you some time,” I said, wiping some beads of sweat from my forehead. “It really isn’t that hard. Skateboards are a different story though.”

“Oi, what is all that talk about skating? We are not here to skate for god’s sake, this is the beach!” Eli sniped as he hauled out some things from out the backseat. Chloe, who had her arms crossed and had a look of distaste on her face, watched him.

“I think you should get that car of yours cleaned, Eli,” she said, sounding eerily like a mother. “It smells like some sort of animal died in there.”

But of course, Eli ignored her. Instead, he handed her an overly large picnic basket and swung a large, rolled up, picnic carpet over his shoulder. “Let’s go, kids!” We all have that one friend who we all think is retarded but stick with them anyway. For Dan and I – and maybe Sarah and Chloe during the moment – that friend was Eli.

We trudged along behind Eli who lead the way out of the parking area, over to the rickety wooden stairs to the short bridge that lead to the very sands of the beach. To say that trying to walk around was complicated was an understatement. It was extremely difficult.

Girls are our ages were all around, lying in the sand, trying to get tans. There were even grandmothers doing the same thing. Families, a good half with crying babies, were setting up beach tents here and there, and then there were the flocks of kids flailing around.

“Looks like it’s not only us who thinks that today is a perfect beach day,” I said sarcastically. Sarah grunted in agreement as she tripped on a rock and almost fell once more, I grabbed onto her arm to keep her from doing so.

“Does he even know where he’s going?” Sarah asked, as Eli led us to another turn. “Because I’m pretty sure he’s heading off to the unknown.” We were almost to the Wall now. The wall was what we called the dam of land and rocks that held up the houses that overlooked the ocean.

Our house was one of those houses. There were lots of subdivisions that had houses overlooking the ocean, but the best subdivision, Babylon Drive, had the best views mainly because it was located in an exclusive subdivision.  

“Like I said,” I looked over to Sarah, “I told you this was a bad idea.”

“I know,” Sarah muttered. “No need to be sassy, Chris.”

“I’m not being sassy – whatever, never mind.” Sarah laughed and threw an arm over my shoulder, it was a hundred degrees out there and any form of physical contact only made things worse, but I didn’t mind, not a single bit.

“Lighten up, Chris,” she told me. I rolled my eyes which made her laugh even harder. The sand made my feet feel like they were in an oven instead of my sneakers; I didn’t find the time to take them off.

Eli seemed to be leading us into some straight but bent line. He went on and on, and soon enough, the mass of people grew thinner and thinner. The sounds of people chattering, and children laughing were starting to fade. Soon enough, the sound of the ocean slapping against rocks were all that we could hear.