Elven Suspicions

It was another two years before the Silvan Elves returned to the small village where Meran and Legolas lived. They came with their goods, but also with news. They had been searching nearly twelve years for their youngest prince who was lost in an Orc raid on the palace. He had been only two at the time. The Elves had searched every Orc lair they could find. They had come up empty-handed each time and now were searching towns near Mirkwood.

     Meran had no idea of this when she left her home that morning to head out to the healing house where she helped out by gathering and sorting herbs. When she arrived, there were Elves there talking with the head healer, Seon. Meran overheard Seon say that he didn't know of any elflings in the village. Meran smiled. Seon was covering for them. He had been to her home not a few days ago to tend to Legolas when the boy had sprained his wrist trying to climb a tree.

     Suddenly, there was a hand on Meran's shoulder. She spun around and saw Seon. The Elf had gone and Seon pulled Meran into his healing cabin. He bolted the door and made sure the windows were not too far open.

     "Meran, they're searching for Legolas. I don't want you to get in trouble, but I couldn't tell them yet," Seon whispered.

     Meran sighed and whispered back, "I don't want them to find him. But we can't hide him forever."

     "Anyone who is asked about him knows that they should say they don't know any elflings. If we are found out then we'll say we didn't know and that we thought he was a human boy."

     "I guess that might slide for you. But I won't  be allowed to pass on that. I've raised him, there's no way I wouldn't have noticed that he didn't age like the other children or that his ears were pointed."

     "We'll cross that bridge when we some to it. Just get home and be with Legolas. I don't want you in town if you really are wanting to keep him hidden."

     "They've seen me! They'll know something's up if I disappear!"

     "Come for a while each morning, but don't linger. It should be enough. Now go!"

     Meran nodded and left Seon's healing cabin. She saw the Elves talking to others around town and hurried home. She spent a quiet day with Legolas as they read from their library or played chess and checkers. It was enjoyable and they kept it up for a few days. One of their chess games lasted two days as they would play for a while and then do something else as Legolas became unfocused.  Meran would go to town for an hour or two in the mornings and then return home. It was fine until she was finally approached by an Elf.

     "Ma'am, may I speak with you a moment?" the Elf asked.

     "Of course. How may I help you?" Meran replied.

     "My name is Unilmand. I must ask if you have seen any elflings here before, or in the surrounding areas."

     "Why? What has happened?" Meran asked, feigning ignorance and concern.

     "The King's son has gone missing. He was taken during an Orc raid nearly fifteen years ago. We suspect that he is in this area or in another village close by."

     Meran's heart beat so hard she was afraid Unilmand would hear it. Legolas was the King's son? Meran knew she should give him up, but she had raised him and could not find it in her heart to do so.

     "I have not seen him. But why have you not come sooner?"

     "We were searching all possible Orc lairs in the mountains. We thought for sure they would have him."

     "Would they not have killed him? Not to be pessimistic, but they are Orcs."

     "We have hope."

     Meran nodded, "Of course. I understand. But I have not seen any elflings here in the last fifteen years."

     Unilmand nodded, "Very well. I thank you for your time."

     "I am sorry that I could not be of help."

     With that they parted ways and Meran quickly returned. She did not want to seem in a hurry, but she could not help it when she made it half way to her home and began to sprint. She locked her door behind herself and hurried to Legolas room where she quickly embraced the boy.

     "Mum? What is wrong?"

     "Nothing, Legolas. I love you."

     "I love you, too, Mum."

     But Meran was unaware that an Elf ad seen her run home. Nor did she know that seeing that put the smallest bit of suspicion in his mind. The Elves left within a few days. But the Elf remembered the woman that had run home after being questioned by his, the Elf's, captain. He thought it nerves. But when they did not find their prince in any other village, he made sure to tell this observation to his captain. And Unilmand made sure to pay another visit to Meran's village.