Running Away

Meran followed the Elvenking through his halls. She had no idea where she was being taken, or why. All he had said to her was "Come with me" and then opened the door. They had entered what looked like a private wing. Meran's heart began to beat a little faster. Was she being allowed to see Legolas?

"Yes," Thranduil said, seeming to know her thoughts. "This is Legolas' room. He... I... I see that he needs you."

Meran looked to the tall Elf next to her, "But he needs to stay here. I see that. This where he belongs."

A smiled ghosted across Thranduil's face, "That may be so, but he will be all the more willing to stay and adapt to life here if you are with him."

Meran looked doubtful, "And you have no objections to this, my lord?"

Thranduil's face hardened slightly, "I prefer not to have humans in my realm, and I know that many of the other Elves feel the same way. But I cannot help that Legolas needs you, and I will have you stay for him."

Meran smiled, "Thank you. I'm sure Legolas will appreciate it, too."

Thranduil seemed to relax and he unlocked and opened the door. The two looked around the room. The washroom door was open and Legolas wasn't inside. But neither was he anywhere else. Meran and Thranduil searched the room. Legolas wasn't hiding under the bed or in his wardrobe. Meran searched the washroom for good measure, but he wasn't hiding there either. Meran hurried back out to the main room to find Thranduil standing by an open window with a horrified look on his face. Meran saw why. There was a chair pulled up to the window, as if Legolas had used it to climb out the window.

All colour left Meran's face as she stared out the window at the vast expanse of trees, knowing her baby was out there somewhere. Thranduil saw her horrified face and put a hand on her shoulder.

"We'll find him. I promise."

~~~

Thranduil gathered a patrol and was ready to leave the palace to search for his son  when Meran came running out to him.

"You cannot leave without me!" Meran exclaimed.

"It's too dangerous. You might get lost," Thranduil disagreed. "We know all the paths and where they lead."

"But you do not know the paths of Legolas' mind," Meran argued. "You do not know where he might've gone, and he may run farther from you anyways. You need me."

Thranduil glared at the woman, but found that he could not disagree. He pulled her up onto his mount so she sat in front of himself and the group was off. Meran reasoned that he wouldn't have gone farther than two miles, so they searched within a two-mile radius of the palace.

~~~

Legolas stayed in his tree. He heard the guards calling for him, but he didn't care. And he didn't dare move. They would find him for sure that way. He wanted his mother. He could almost hear her calling for him.

"Legolas!"

Her voice was so nice.

"Legolas! Where are you!"

Wait. She couldn't be...

"Mum?" Legolas called.

"Legolas! Baby, where are you?"

Legolas climbed down from his tree and ran in the direction of his mother's voice.