I Always Wanted a Father

Legolas was overjoyed to be in his mother's arms again. He hadn't wanted to run from her. But he had to get away from that horrible Elf-king who called himself Legolas' father. Legolas loosened his grip on Meran for a moment, but tightened it again when he saw Thranduil behind his mother.

"Mum, why is he here?" Legolas whispered.

Thranduil winced, and so did Meran.

"He is your father, Legolas. He is related to you by blood. You belong here," Meran whispered. She had to say it, and Legolas had to hear it from her.

"But he locked you away."

"He let me out."

Legolas pulled away and looked her in the eye, "Are you going to leave?"

"She can stay as long as you want her to," Thranduil answered.

Meran turned to look at him, a surprised look on her face.

Thranduil smiled, "I think having you stay until he has adapted will not be enough. You raised him, and... and that makes you his mother in every way except blood."

Meran smiled, and so did Legolas; he would get to keep his mother. He walked forward and bowed to Thranduil.

"Thank you, father, for letting her stay."

Thranduil knelt in front of his son and held out his arms in invitation. Legolas to a few cautious steps into the Elvenking's arms and loosely put his own small arms around the man's neck. Thranduil held his son firmly, but gently. Legolas slowly tightened his grip on Thranduil.

"I always wanted a father," Legolas whispered.

Thranduil chuckled.

They walked back through the woods to where Thranduil's mount was waiting. He set Meran and Legolas on the animal and led them along with the reins in his hands, all the while making bird call signals to the rest of the patrol to let them know that Legolas had been found.

They returned to the palace and Thranduil showed Legolas and Meran around their new home.