What Was I Thinking...?

Meran walked through the village like she had thousands of times before. It had been a few days since she'd left the house and she needed to purchase more food. She walked up to the produce vendor and bought some potatoes, carrots, and onions for stew that she was planning to make for her and Legolas to eat that evening. But as she began to to head over to a meat vendor she was pulled aside by Seon.

     "Seon? What...?"

     "The Elves are coming back!"

     Meran's heart beat faster, "Yes?"

     "A scout brought a letter two days ago saying that they knew Legolas was here and they would be searching for him!" Seon was panicked.

     Meran's stomach churned, "How do they know?"

     "They didn't specify, but the letter said they suspected one of the women they questioned of housing Legolas."

     They didn't get to talk more before several Elves riding horses rode into the marketplace. The captain, Unilmand, was riding at the front of the group. He brought his horse right up to Meran and Seon before dismounting. He stood stiffly and looked at Meran coldly. He stood over her and grabbed her arm. Meran jumped.

     "Take me to your home, liar," Unilmand ordered.

     The harsh accusation hit Meran like a slap across the face. She pulled her arm out of Unilmand's grip and led him through the village to her home. Seon followed close behind with some of Unilmand's fellow warriors. They made it to the cottage and Meran quickly opened the door, threw her things down, and bolted into Legolas' room. She found him on his bed and quickly pulled him into her embrace and he hugged her back with equal fervor.

     "Mum, what's wrong? Why are you back so early?" Legolas asked, worried.

     Unilmand calmly made his way to the room where he found Meran and Legolas hugging each other. Seon was with him and both men stood there staring. Unilmand finally walked over and pulled the two apart. He grabbed Meran firmly and pushed Legolas out of her grip. Legolas protested loudly, but stopped when he saw his mother surrender in Unilmand's grasp. He looked at the tall man, no Elf, wide eyed.

     "Who are you?" Legolas demanded.

     "I am the captain of the Elvenking Thranduil's army and I am here you rescue you from these Humans," Unilmand answered, spitting the last word as if it were poison on his tongue.

     Legolas frowned, "What do you mean? I don't need rescuing! What does the Elvenking want with me?"

     Unilmand smirked, "You're his son."

     Legolas' eyes grew even wider. He looked to his mother, who couldn't meet his eyes.

     "Mum?"

     "I didn't know who your father was."

     "But you did a year ago!" Unilmand accused.

     Meran let out a sob and Legolas ran to her and flung his arms around her waist. Unilmand was forced to let go of Meran, and she took the opportunity to crouch down so she could fully hug Legolas. Unilmand watched and a strange feeling blossomed in his chest. Regret. He saw how close Legolas and Meran were. How could he take them apart? Would Thranduil see how much they needed each other?

     "Mum, I don't want to go!"

     Unilmand stepped in again with an answer, "You'll both go, together."

     Legolas looked up the Elf skeptically, but just returned his head to the crook of his mother's neck. He wasn't sure he wanted to meet his father.

     ~

     They had traveled for almost a week when they finally reached the palace. Meran was tired after the journey. She wanted to bathe and to eat something other than dried fruit. Legolas, on the other hand, was bouncy. He was passed around to each of the soldiers during their rides and they all entertained their little prince in some way, whether by telling a story or teaching him a new song. Meran was happy that Legolas was getting along with palace guard - he would be seeing them quite a bit. But she was always glad when he was back in her arms. Legolas was, too. He didn't want her to be alone. The Elves didn't seem to like her at all. Unilmand was kind to her, but Legolas didn't really think he liked her at all.

     When they entered the courtyard of Mirkwood's palace, Legolas took Meran's hand and refused to let go. Unilmand ushered them inside and took them to a room where they could rest before seeing the King. Meran and Legolas washed and changed clothes. Food was brought to them and they ate some. They did not speak much. Unilmand returned to them soon and escorted them to the throne room.

     Meran trembled as she and Legolas were led into the room. She was afraid. Not for Legolas. She was sure the boy would be safe, loved, and cared for here. But she would very likely be punished for "kidnapping" the prince. Meran looked up and saw the Elvenking sitting on his throne. She became even more frightened as she saw his cold expression when they made eye contact. But she felt Legolas hide behind her and grasp her skirt in one of his fists. 

     "So you are the woman who took my son from me?" Thranduil boomed.

     "No, my lord. I found him."

     "Why, then did you not return him?"

     "I did not know who he belonged to."

     Thranduil regarded her suspiciously, "Either way, you did not return him when you learned where he belonged!"

     "He is my son! I did not wish to let him go!" Meran cried.

     "He is not your son! He is my son!" Thranduil yelled back, rising from his seat.

     Meran took a small step back in fear, but she nearly tripped over Legolas. The small boy ran forward and screamed his own bit to the whole room:

     "You are not my father! I do not even know you! I do not love you! I love her! She is my mother! She raised me! Leave her alone!"

     Thranduil lost his temper. He sent Meran to the dungeons and took Legolas to the boy's new rooms and locked him inside.

     Meran sat on the dungeon floor and held her head in her hands. She should not have yelled. She should have talked it out; explained it all. But now she might rot in Mirkwood's dungeons. How nice.

     "What was I thinking...?"