3. Train bridge

They walked the entire night and crossed the city safely. They were incredibly close to the edge when the rising sun made the sky above them brighter.

"Minho, Jorge, you're taking this and placing it every five hundred meters on a building or a wall." Salsa gave Minho a small bag from her backpack when the whole group stopped to catch their breaths.

He opened it and spotted little black triangles as thin as stickers.

"What is this for?"

"We'll find your friend. If he appears somewhere around here, we'll notice."

The whole group gathered around her.

"The sun is coming," muttered the boy with this ridiculous name Frypan.

"Thanks for the reminder but I noticed," Salsa looked up and for a second, her and Newt's eyes met.

She looked away quickly.

"Do you see this building behind us? Get into it, there's a passage behind the rest of the broken ceiling. It leads down to the basements. Here... I made a small map, hope you can read it." She took a paper out and handed it to Frypan. "You, my friend, will lead the group there and then you'll wait. There's food and water, you can get some rest too. We're at the line where the tunnels under the city end. We'll need to scan this place to find your friend."

Salsa looked at the boys, hoping that everyone understood.

"Minho and Jorge will go west and mark all the buildings to the end of the city, then return here and get into the hideout," Salsa looked at the two of them.

"Okay," said Minho.

"Newt and I will take the east side," Salsa looked at the boy. "If you're okay to come with me," she added.

He nodded and she felt a heavy weight lifting from her chest. He wasn't mad because of the kiss.

"We'll meet down there before nightfall. If we don't return before midnight, you guys continue your mission, okay?" Salsa looked at the boys.

"Okay," they nodded. They wished the four of them good luck and ran to the building.

"Can we have this scan thing?" asked Minho when the rest of the group disappeared into the ruins.

"Unfortunately, I only have one but here, catch," she gave it to him.

"But-" he looked confused.

"I survived three years in this city, don't worry, I can deal without it. Good luck," she waved to Jorge and Minho and ran right from the place where they were standing. Newt followed after her. They stayed on the dark side of the buildings, sneaking around quietly. No one said a thing. The sun was rising quickly with more and more light spilling across the streets.

"Wait," Salsa stopped Newt when she heard the familiar sound of teeth crunching into bones.

She looked around the corner and saw one of the sick people eating a dead body.

"Will you kill him?" asked Newt.

His face was filled with horror and he shuddered in disgust.

"I don't like something about this place," Salsa raised her gun.

She looked at the train bridge behind them but it was right where the sun was and it blinded her sight.

"We're taking another way," she moved back.

She wasn't sure why, but she felt the danger. Someone was out there.

They snuck over to the next street and needed to hide inside a building as two old lunatics were walking down the alley and humming loudly.