20. Meeting in the Crank Place

Salsa changed into the clothes she had taken from the shop and left her backpack with Thomas. He was the only one she really trusted in their group. She took two small guns, a knife and the laser, hiding it all underneath the clothes, with her black pants and tank top. The girl looked like a homeless lady in the gray long skirt and dirty worn out sweater. She untied her hair and placed a dark yellow piece of fabric like a scarf around her head. It hid her face with its hood-like appearance.

Salsa told the rest to wait for four hours. If she didn't return, they should continue with the mission. She said goodbye to Thomas who waited on the ramp, watching as she disappeared into the darkness. She ran through fields and bushes until she reached the Crank Palace. The way she came from led to its back, and she used her laser to cut the fence.

She snuck through the opening and ran into the village. It was filled with Cranks with a few guards making the night watch. They had guns clenched tightly in their hands, and she felt their fear. They were Immune civilians that did this for money, not trained soldiers. No one cared about one rotten looking girl who made her way in a slow but steady tempo through the village. She studied the faces around her until she found an old lady that sat next to her house, staring at the dark sky. Salsa sat down next to her.

"Hey, have you seen a boy, blonde, brown eyes, skinny, around sixteen?" she asked quietly.

The woman turned to her and her eyes were a mix of something normal and madness.

"I only know Newt," she whispered and Salsa felt a shiver run down her spine. "He helped me when this guy tried to eat my leg. Look, it's still here." She raised her skirt and showed an ugly wound on her left leg.

"Yes, Newt. I'm looking for him," Salsa smiled.

If he helped this woman, then he shouldn't be in such a bad state.

"He sleeps in the bowling center with his gang. It's in the central circle," whispered the woman.

"Thanks," Salsa got up and moved further into the Crank Palace.

The night was exceptionally dark, but she saw shapes moving around the buildings. The closer she got to the main circle, the louder the people were. She entered it and saw a huge fight taking plade. She nearly stepped on some nirvana drunk Cranks that were lying next to the circle fence. She moved cautiously until she reached the bowling center. Stopping next to the entry, she felt fear for the first time in her life to go into somewhere.

She looked around. Maybe she should run back and finish the mission. But then, she decided to take a look instead and went into the dark building. The walls were lit up with a fire that was burning on the bowling lane. Some people were gathered around it. Numerous bodies littered the ground, probably asleep, or worse. Salsa moved around them quietly and the people at the fire seemed to ignore her. She looked around and then she saw Newt.

He was sitting by the opening of a missing window and staring up at the sky. The boy was skinnier than usual and incredibly dirty. His shirt was torn and cut; she could see blood on his shoulder. Salsa shivered, ready to run back.

Suddenly, he turned his head and looked at her. His mouth formed her name and she hurried to him. Newt jumped up and a second later, she was crushed in his arms, hugging him tightly. Her emotions were a whirlwind filled with pain. His warm breath on her neck made all her senses rise in alarm.

"What are you doing here?" he asked quietly.

"I came to see you," she whispered, burying her face in his neck.

Salsa never cared less about his dirty and bloody clothes, or his heavy smell. She was so happy that he was alive and seemed somehow ok.

"The cure," whispered Newt and she looked at him.