34. Newt

"We'll be fine," the words sounded like they came from a different world into his brain and Newt shivered, his human side waking up.

He glanced at the gun and the cure in his hands; he had a choice. Will he take the gun and remain a Crank? Or will he take the cure and be human again?

"We'll be fine," the whisper of these words in the Scorch, in the abandoned craftwork where he had sex for the first time, in the depths of the forests in Washington State, and in the long corridors of WICKED's headquarters. And even there at the Crank Palace, even here at the edge of the ending world- of his ending world- at the edge of his madness.

All these images flashed in front of his eyes. The Crank Palace, Alby, the Grievers, Chuck falling under Gally's hand, the long tunnel where the silver substance cut the heads of his friends off, Minho burning as he was struck by a lightning, Oli tearing out the bear's flesh, him digging his teeth into the fresh blood of the hand of this boy that was his own age... him climbing along the ivy in the Maze, his heart beating in his chest- no hope, no hope left, no hope in him left- when he let go and fell towards the stone...

He felt the pain tearing apart in his hip and glanced at the gun, but then he looked at the blue liquid in his other hand.

And another image, as bright as the daylight, hit his head. Salsa, her deep brown eyes when he saw her for the first time, his heart speeding up and his stomach twisting like never before. Tommy, his best friend who led him through the Maze. And Minho, always brave, and Chuck's smile, and Teresa, her loving gaze when she stared at Tommy, Jorge and Brenda, Frypan, Aris, all his friends, and Salsa again. The sunlight played on her face when she kissed him for the first time. Her kiss was perfection; it felt like safety, it felt like home.

And she was here, unconscious and bleeding in front of him, but she brought him the cure.

Newt shivered. He dropped the gun and opened the phial, lifting it to his lips. He felt the cold liquid running down his throat as he drank it to the end.

"Hey, what are you doing?" he heard an unpleasant voice behind him.

He turned around and saw the Cranks, his group coming back for him. The madness in their eyes.

"We can eat you and your little friend," muttered one.

"Never!" Newt grabbed the gun and lifted Salsa up but the cure was burning through his veins, making him too week to run to the ship with her. He couldn't fly it anyway so he crawled to the wall, resting his back against it and holding Salsa in his arms with the gun pointed at the Cranks.

"Leave!" he shouted but they came closer and he fired into the chest of the first one, feeling the tears rolling down his cheeks.

It was the first person he killed. He kept shooting as long as he had bullets, but his vision became blurry and he shot the last bullet into the seven feet tall Crank. He grabbed Salsa closely, feeling too weak to open his eyes again, and then his vision faded into darkness.

Hi, it's so hard to slowly say bye to this story. The next chapter will be the last. This chapter is shorter than the other ones but it was planned this way, I still hope you enjoy it. Thank you for all the support, without it I wouldn't be here.

So what do you think?

If you like the chapter please vote and comment :)