35. First tears

Salsa opened her eyes, she felt the light and saw a white ceiling above her. There was a lot less pain in her arm. It was still there, but it was bareable.

„Newt," she whispered sitting up.

She was on a bed in WICKED headquater in the hospital wing, alone in the white room. She felt her heart aching. Someone saved her. Probably Brenda, or Minho, or Jorge, or Teresa, but Newt. . .

The last thing she remembered was him grabbing the gun and she shiverd. He wasn't even recognizing her. She failed. She hasn't saved him. It took her minutes to get herself together, than she got up and found clothes folded on a chair in the room. A white t-shirt and black sweatpants. Salsa changed into it and found her shoes under the table. She opened the door and saw the long grey corridors of the headquater. No guards were moving around, so she started to walk checking on her arm, but it seemed ok.

Salsa tried to keep standing although all in her was falling. She needed to know if they had found Newt's body and how he died. She needed to find it out before she will collapse in her grief.

The door in front of her opened and she shivered, when her first insinct was to grab behind her belt for the gun, but she remembered, she didn't have it anymore, so she looked at the person, that entered the corridor, and recognized the boy, Frypan.

„Hi Salsa," he smiled to her. „Brenda waits for you in the main room, she's the chef here now," he said.

„Thank you," Slasa passed him and walked slowly.

Every inch of her was trembling. She really didn't want to know, but she needed to.

She finally reached the main room. The huge metal door was opened and she saw Teresa showing something on the computer to Aris.

Teresa glanced up on her and sent her a sad smile. Salsa lookad away feeling the pain was becoming unberable.

She saw Jorge talking to some of the boys and gilrs from both Mazes, it looked like he was giving them pilot lessons. A moment later she saw Brenda and Minho. They were whisepring something to each other and Salsa shivered.

Minho noticed her and told it to Brenda. She turned around and smiled to Salsa.

„I'm so glad you woke up," she said speeding to her and hugging her.

„How do I ended up here?" Salsa asked.

„I found you," Brenda looked at her.

Jorge got up and left the room with his group.

„Look it's all your foult," Brenda pointed around. "You did it and we're so thankful. We found chancellor Paige and she's our prisoner. The laboratory people are working day and night. We are starting the production of the cure, Teresa came up with this idea. And Jorge is doing lectures for new pilots. It will be a hard task, but we'll start with the cities that are still somehow ok. We will give the cure to the people and slowly we will start to rebuild the society. It will take years but finally there is hope," Brenda had tears in her eyes.

„Brenda it's all amazing, but how did he died," Salsa looked her in the eyes.

Brenda looked away and Salsa noticed, that Teresa shivered an glanced at Aris.

„Jorge will tell you everything I can't," said Brenda.

„Where do you need me?" Salsa felt that her insides are filled with ice.

„Go to the balcony on the viewfloor, Jorge is waitng there for you he will explain you the mission," said Brenda.

„Ok," Salsa turned around.

She left the room followed by strange glances. She didn't need pity. Teresa and Brenda lost Thomas but he was never, that close to them as Newt was to her. She remebered his eyes and nearly couldn't catch her breath again realising, that she will never see him again. It was all for nothing all her pain all her battles.

She reached the elevator and the memories of the White Tower came back and she shivered when the sliver doors opened. The elevator was empty, so Salsa went inside and pressed the view floor. She felt the darkness and her grief. The elevator seemed too quick, she wasn't ready to face Jorge. But Jorge will understand.

The doors opened and she stepped onto a spacy floor filled with fading sunlight. The sun wa setting and she felt her pain rising. The sunligt in the Scorch, the mot amazing she had appeared so vividly in front of her, that she decided to turn around and run back to her room. But she wasn't the person that was ever runnig away, she was a soldier like her father taught her. So she turned back to the huge balcony and walked on it slowly.

„Jorge," she said stopping.

A figure moved and got up from a bench he was sitting at. She saw a tall skinny shape dressed in black jeans and a white shirt. She felt her lungs forgot how to catch air when he slowly turned arund. His blonde hair lit up in the setting sunlight.

„Hi," he said blushing when their eyes meet.

But Salsa couldn't move. She felt tears, sweet tears falling down her cheek. All the years no matter what happened she never cried.

„Salsa, love," Newt run to her and closed her in his arms.

She sobbed in his shirt grabbing him tightly.

„You're alive, you're alive," she repeated herself.

„I thought you can't cry," he whispered smiling in her hair.

„I also thought so," she said burring her head in his neck.

There was nothing on Earth that could describe her feelings in this moment.

„We will be fine," whispered Newt lifting her chin and kissing her lips.

She grabbed his hair and kissed him so passionately, that he run out of breath, but he didn't care, and never parted their lips.

The sun was setting behind them and they decided to never let go of each other again.

And when after one million kisses Salsa laid her head on his shouder nad looked at the disappearing sun she remembered the roof in the Scorch and his words.

„Thank you. . . for the sunset," and she smlied to herself.

THANK YOU <3