The First Dance

A/N: This chapter feels super rushed. I'm going to go back and re-work it later.

I was standing in front of the mirror in the front hall of our house, staring at the way I'd styled my hair so that it curled and fell effortlessly down my back and the way I'd done my makeup so that I looked like a celebrity. Behind me, Dad was watching me with one eyebrow raised, as if he were staring at his little girl who was growing up to fast.

"I'm so excited, Dad," I declared, spinning around so that my deep purple dress twirled out around me and then settled back down against my legs. "I really hope Troy asks me to dance."

Dad smiled a little bit as I inspected my sparkly nails. "It's not every day my big girl goes to her first high school dance," he said.

"I don't know how to slow dance!" I fretted, glancing up at myself again and fixing one of my ringlets.

Just then, Mom hurried down the hall with her camera. "Pictures!" she exclaimed. "How about one of the proud father with his beautiful, almost-grown daughter?"

"Ashley's going to be here soon to pick me up," I said, but I obediently sidled up beside Dad and let him drape his hand over my shoulders.

We smiled as Mom took the picture, and then Dad said, "I have a problem with this boy named Troy getting the first dance. I think I should have one with you first."

He took my hand and led me to the center of the hallway, then showed me how to position myself to dance. Carefully, he stepped backwards, and before I knew it, we were waltzing it a slow circle.

Mom turned on some music and watched from the side, her hands covering her mouth, looking as if she would start crying happy tears any second. I kept my focus on executing all the steps correctly and not stepping on Dad's feet—his sock-clad ones and mine wearing sleek black heels moving in time.

Finally, the music stalled, and we finished our last box before Dad wrapped me into a hug. We had just been standing like that for a few minutes when the doorbell rang.

"That's Ashley!" I exclaimed, clacking over in my heels to the door and unlocking it.

Bubbly Ashley was standing at the door, her striking red dress complimenting my purple one, bouncing on her heels. "You look so great!" she squealed. "Troy is going to be so impressed."

I grinned and waved to my parents before stepping out onto the porch. Mom called after me, "Have fun!", but Dad said, "Be careful who you give your heart to, Evelyn!"

I lifted my hand in another wave, this time of acknowledgement, and shut the front door behind me, ready to set off to my first Homecoming dance.