Thirty-One

The house was small but quaint, a stately brick with three stories and a paved driveway leading to the front door. Cameron parked the SUV against the curve and then sat in the driver's seat, staring up at the building for what felt like a long time.

"I'm really sorry it had to come to this," he said.

Pushing my hair over my shoulder, I got out of the car and went around to the trunk to get the suitcases. Then I helped Maddie climb out onto the grass and gave her her own luggage.

When I looked up at the home for girls, I realized that I'd always know subconsciously that I would end up here eventually. There was no way I could have kept my secret until I'd turned eighteen. But why now, when so much tragedy had happened and all I wanted was the consistency of my own home?

I thought of my father, who had likely resumed his old post on the living room couch with a bottle by his side and the TV flickering into the early hours of the morning, and my blood began to boil.

"Come on, Maddie," I said, taking her hand and dragging the suitcases behind me. Cameron stayed in the car—he probably didn't know what to do.

When we reached the front door, I rang the doorbell, trying to keep calm for Maddie's sake. It was only a few seconds before the door swung open, revealing a short yet very thin woman holding a stack of files.

"Evelyn and Maddie?" she asked, setting the papers down on the table next to the front door and opening her arms wide. "Come on in. Welcome! Go ahead and set your luggage by the door and I'll give you a quick tour; then you can settled in your room."

Obediently, I propped Clare's and my suitcases against the wall and then helped Maddie do the same.

The house was larger than it looked from the outside and had many extremely small rooms, each with a bed or bunk beds inside. Maddie's and my room was at the end of a hallway and was likely the smallest one we'd seen, and it only had a twin bed.

"Unfortunately, this was the only room we had left," said the woman, wringing her hands nervously. "It's not really suited to two girls, but it's the best we can do."

I brushed my hand against the bedspread, which felt surprisingly soft, and said, "It's fine, thank you."

Maddie was surveying the room with an expression of disgust, so I took her hand and quickly led her back out into the hall.

We toured the rest of the house, which consisted of a kitchen, dining room, and living room, and then returned to the foyer.

"Well, if you need anything, I'm Sara, and I'm in charge around here." The woman pushed back flyaway strands of her hair and propped her hands against her hips. She looked young, but aged by stress and worry. "There's ten other girls living here, ranging from ages three to fifteen."

That made me the oldest of the group. I wondered if I'd unexpectedly inherited ten new little sisters—then I thought of Clare in the hospital bed and my heart wrenched.

"You can go ahead and get your things in your room and unpack," said Sara, clearly dismissing us. "Dinner's at six in the dining room."

I took Maddie's hand and helped her carry her suitcase up to the third floor, noticing the determined way her face was scrunched so that she wouldn't cry.

Once we'd gotten up to the tiny bedroom, I closed the door and then opened my suitcase on the bed, running inventory of what I'd brought. It made no sense to unpack, since there was no closet space, but I did take out a few framed photos and one of the pressed roses from Cameron's bouquet, which I set on the wooden bedside table. Maddie opened her suitcase and pulled out her stuffed elephant, then hugged it close to her chest.