Sixteen

I stayed in the car, curled up in a tight ball and rocking back and forth, while Cameron stepped onto the road and went to help at the scene of the crash. My temples were throbbing and my heart was racing so fast I couldn't distinguish one beat from the other-and all I could see in my head was the night of my own fateful crash.

I didn't know how long it was before Cameron returned to the car, looking thoroughly depressed. His hands shook as he turned back on the car and backed it out onto the road.

My cell phone rang twice on the way home, most likely both calls from Katie asking why I was so late to return, but I didn't answer. I didn't think I'd have a voice to talk to anyone, anyway.

Though Cameron didn't say anything to me, his eyes kept flickering towards me, his mouth set into a concerned frown, as he drove. I just sat, quivering, my cheek pressed against my knees, trying to ignore my heart pounding in my ribcage and the panic rising up inside me.

Finally, the convertible turned into my driveway and parked near the front door, but I was shaking too much to get out the car. Cameron had to walk around to the passenger's side, open the door for me, and allow me to lean heavily on him as I walked up the porch steps and to the front door.

"You okay, Evelyn?" he asked. I could feel his breath on my ear and could hear the concerned touch to his voice, but all I could do was shake my head. I continued to rely on him as I handed him the keys and unlocked the door.

When we stepped inside the house, Maddie and Clare both ran at me, but they both froze when they saw my paled face and my wide eyes. Cameron kept one hand pressed against the small of my back as he led me into the living room and sat me down on the couch.

"Breathe," he instructed, sitting down beside me and wrapping his arm around my shoulders. I choked over my breath, doubled over as I forced myself to control myself in front of my sisters.

Katie entered the room, sent Maddie and Clare up to their room, and sat down on my other side. "Goodness, Evelyn, are you okay?"

I still couldn't talk, so I just shook my head again. Katie turned her worried eyes onto Cameron and asked, "What happened?"

As Cameron explained the situation, I watched Katie's expression fall until it looked like she would start crying. She placed one hand on each side of my face and turned me towards her, so that I was staring right at her.

"Everything's gonna be okay, all right, Evelyn?" she asked as I forced an exhale. "I'm really sorry that had to happen to you. But your mother would never want you to be so afraid. She'd want you to live life carefree and happy..." She trailed off, releasing my face and leaning back against the couch. Suddenly, she seemed exhausted.

"Evelyn?" asked Cameron softly, wiping away a tear I hadn't noticed had slipped down my face. "What's she talking about?"

Katie's eyes opened at his confused tone, and her mouth tightened into a firm line. "I'm going to go upstairs and check on the girls," she said. "I think you two have some talking to do. I'll make sure they don't come downstairs." She stood, glancing at me worriedly, and then began to climb the stairs up to Maddie and Clare's bedroom.

"Evelyn?" Cameron repeated.

It took me a few minutes to calm myself to even be able to say something, and when I did, everything came out in a rush. "I'm so sorry, Cameron," I said, two more tears trickling down my face. Now that I'd started crying, I seemed unable to stop. "I've lied to you."