5. One Night Stands and Star-crossed Lovers

«DAY 5»

Luke

From the moment I wake up, the events of last night starts playing in my head like a film roll.

I'd slept in a different room than Lissa's, because I'd wanted some privacy to sulk. But Michael had thrown the Jane-lookalike into my room, and I didn't get to sulk after all.

"This is Leila," he'd said. "She likes you."

Leila and I glanced at each other, and she blushed furiously. But she didn't try to hide to fact that her desire was coming off her in waves. I groaned.

When I stumbled outside to tell Michael to get rid of Jane-lookalike, he simply asked:

"Don't you miss sex?"

"...Yeah," I'd admitted drunkenly. "But Jane-"

"What if Jane is dead?" Michael asked suddenly, and the hallway filled with silence.

"You mentioned once that she was getting a surgery," he presses, trying to provoke a reaction out of me. "What kind of a surgery?"

"I don't know." I looked down at my feet, which looked as if they were moving in my drunken state. But they weren't. Everything was moving around me, the walls closing in, trapping me in, when Michael finally asked:

"Do you think she died?"

"I-I don't know," I whispered, my lip trembling. I was getting more and more upset with every word Michael spoke.

"Maybe she was more hurt than you thought. Maybe the surgery went wrong."

She didn't die, I told myself, my heart pounding. She didn't. Drunken tears started filling my eyes.

Michael shook his head like I was insane, took another swig of his beer and stared me right in the eye. "I'm sorry, Luke."

It was around one o clock when I dragged myself back to the room in zombie-like movements, feeling numb. Leila was there, waiting for me. I briefly remember our clothes then falling to the floor, our bodies pressed against each other, the sounds of our moans echoing off the walls. I just wanted something to distract me from the emptiness I felt inside.

My eyes now fully open, I glance sideways and see Leila next to me, fast asleep.

Lissa

I wake up to the sound of Luke shouting profanities, a girl sobbing, and then the front door slamming closed. On top of that, a pair of arms are encircled around my waist. Michael, his arms around me, in my bed.

"What's going on?" I mumble, both confused about why Michael is here, and why Luke is shouting so early in the morning.

"You were having nightmares," Michael says, looking into my eyes. His eyes are bloodshot and his hair a mess from staying up all night. Looking at him, I am reminded of our conversation from last night, of what I'd said to him. "Michael, I'm Luke's girlfriend. I can't be caught with you...as much as you and Amber can't."

Remembering how upset he looked after that, I can't look Michael in the eyes properly. But thankfully, it looks like he was way too drunk to remember what had happened. He looks at me with oblivious, blissful eyes, tracing patterns on my arm, and I know he's back to his normal, flirty self. For the first time, I'm happy that Michael had stayed that way.

"Nightmares?" I ask, shifting uncomfortably in his arms.

"Yeah. I heard you screaming in your sleep and came over here," Michael says thoughtfully. "You were saying someone's name....Dustin, I think. Who is it? An ex?"