11. Endings and Beginnings

I know, I was supposed to update yesterday but it's better than nothing XD

Long chapter for y'all!

+

«DAY 8»      

Luke

I had trouble falling asleep that night. How could I, when I finally had something? When I was so close to finding her?

Every time I closed my eyes, my heart pounded in my chest and rang in my ears, making it impossible to sleep. Finally I settled into a state of half-consciousness of tossing, turning and thinking. The longest night I'd ever had.

As soon as the clock strikes 7, I stumble out of bed and shake Lissa awake.

"Mmmm," she murmurs, rolling over in exhaustion.

"Get up!" I tease happily. I haven't felt this alive in months, years, even. There is a stupid grin on my face I can't knock off no matter how much I try.

I wait impatiently as Lissa sluggishly gets up and heads to the washroom. She doesn't wear any makeup on a usual day, but today she puts on an effort to look nice, I guess. I find myself knocking on the washroom door twenty minutes later, asking her to hurry up.

Then with a sigh, I fall back on the bed, my insides tingling.

Blond hair. Chocolate colored eyes. I fell in love with her smile. And if I find her nurse, I can see that smile again. I'll find out what happened to that girl I met two years ago, one I've only met for a few days without even learning her name.

Eunice. What a beautiful name, what a beautiful memory.

The washroom door opens and Lissa walks out wearing a button up and jeans. She throws me a glance and then opens up my laptop, sitting down next to me on the bed. I sit up, watching her.

She opens up the database again and clicks on the name Eunice Denby. The last I remember of the owner of the name is a pudgy-looking woman with sharp, strong eyes, who fed Jane her meals and occasionally laughed along to her stories. She was kind enough, but didn't speak a word to the awkward, lanky boy who sat next to her bed.

On the last day I saw Jane, she stared at me for longer than usual.

"Who are you, boy?" She asked, as if noticing me for the first time.

"L-Luke," I said, startled.

"Friend?" she asked, gesturing to Jane, asleep and moaning in her bed. She'd been in extreme pain for the last two hours, as she'd underwent yet another surgery. This time to re-stitch a deep cut in her leg. She came back crying, and I'd held her hand until she fell asleep.

"Um, yeah," I told the dark-skinned nurse. I guess you could call me that.

"How long have you been coming here?" She asked, checking Jane's tubes and making sure she is comfortable.

"It's only been three days," I replied.

The nurse wiped her hands on her white scrubs and stood up. "Well. Come back tomorrow," she said, as if she'd been thinking of a way to discreetly get rid of me. "She's quite tired."

Then she turned around and left without another word.

+

"Luke," Lissa says, interrupting me. She closes the laptop and taps me on the shoulder. "This address is over two hours away."

"It's fine. I have a credit card, there are taxis, nothing else matters," I reply.

She bites her lip, looking down at my figure on the bed. "What are you planning to do if we find her? Jane, I mean."