Chapter 7

Henry and Valerie held hands as they jumped into the glowing pool. The warm water enveloped her like an embrace. Beneath the surface, she opened her eyes and watched in astonishment as the water turned gold. Without thinking, she inhaled, but instead of water rushing into her lungs, a tingling warmth raced down her throat and circulated through her entire body.

The magic spread down her arms and legs and shot out of her fingers and toes. The terrifying thought entered her mind that she would disappear forever. She had barely formed the idea when the magic receded up her arms and back into her core. The water was no longer gold. In fact, it was much colder, and she realized that she was deep underwater.

She swam up, up, up, scared that she would never reach the top. Was this how Zaki had felt when he drowned in the pool? She kicked her legs in panic. Seconds later, she was gasping for air. She saw that Henry had already surfaced and was staring up.

Above them was a sky full of thousands of stars. It was a dazzling sight, but she couldn't appreciate it knowing the price that had been paid to get her here. It was a debt she could never repay, but she promised herself that she'd never forget Zaki's sacrifice.

Welcome, Henry. And welcome back, Valerie, Azra's voice chimed softly in her mind. She was standing on the shore, her elegant silver horn glinting in the starlight.

Valerie registered that they were in the middle of a deep pool of water that looked black in the darkness. She and Henry swam to the edge, and she wrung out her hair. In the moonlight, the streak of silver at the back that she usually kept hidden in her ponytail shone brightly. It had appeared after she had saved Sanguina's life with her vivicus power, and every time she saw it, she was reminded of what she was capable of—and what she was giving up.

She gave Azra a hug and buried her face in her mane, which smelled like lilies. "I missed you."

And I, you.

"It's an honor to meet you in the flesh," Henry said formally. Valerie could see that he was a little dazzled to meet a real unicorn.

The feeling is mutual, she said with a kind twinkle in her eyes. There are towels and clothes in my pack. She pointed her nose toward a brown bag hanging over her snow white back. They quickly dried off and dressed.

"Where are we?" Valerie asked. "And where's Cyrus?"

I had to come alone. The reason that this portal to the Globe was closed was because the entrance here is in the heart of Dunsinane, which is crawling with Fractus. I suspect their Black Castle is nearby.

"Isn't Sanguina gone from here now?"

Yes, but we know that she didn't act alone. At the very least, Zunya is still here, and we have reason to believe an even more powerful enemy considers it home.

"Why doesn't an army of Conjurors go and take over the castle?" Henry asked.

It cannot be found unless someone is invited. Now, we must quickly travel to a nearby wood on the border of Dunsinane. I have a friend there who will help us get back to Arden.

"I have to tell our friends we made it safely," Valerie said. Azra nodded, and Valerie gripped the crystal around her neck. With the Globe's magic to power the charm, she saw a little image of Thai inside, smiling at her. She gripped it tightly, and was by his side, on the ledge outside of the cave where they had been only minutes earlier, but which was now a universe away.

"You're safe!" he said when he saw her. "I had hoped you were, but you both just vanished and the light went out, and we were worried you had drowned—"