Chapter 23

Despite everything that had happened that day, it was with a lighter heart that Valerie visited Thai that night. He had survived the separation, and she hoped he'd soon be on the Globe by her side.

She was surprised to find Chern with him. Thai sat on the bed, staring at the carpet.

"Thai? Chern? What is it?" she asked, a deep dread in her stomach.

Thai shook his head, and Chern spoke up, stumbling awkwardly through his attempt at an explanation. "I thought perhaps—you see, I'd heard you were speaking tomorrow to the Grand Masters and—dear me, I'd not expected you here."

"What's going on?" Valerie asked, and her frustration must have leaked into her voice because Chern turned red.

"I thought Thai here might be able to convince you that the Excision is the right thing to do. I was assuring him he could get to the Globe before it happens. It's for everyone's safety!" Chern said, his voice high with panic.

"Why didn't you tell me about the Excision?" Thai asked, meeting her eyes for the first time.

"I was going to talk to you tonight," Valerie said, perplexed by the stony set of his features.

"But you've known for days!"

"Weeks, really," Chern said.

"Shut up!" Thai said, and Valerie's eyes widened. She'd never heard him yell before.

"I'll leave you two," Chern said, and vanished.

"Why are you so mad? You've been kind of busy, remember?" Valerie reminded him.

"I'm not a kid! This affects me and Tan, and we have a right to know. Not to mention—never mind," Thai said, visibly shaking with emotion.

"What?" she asked, for all the world wishing she could touch him. She knew if she could hold him, everything would be okay.

"I don't have to tell you. You're not the only one who can keep secrets."

"I'm sorry. I didn't want to overwhelm you with everything you had going on."

Thai took a deep, shaky breath and seemed to pull himself together. "No, you're right. I'd probably have done the same thing in your place."

"It's going to be okay, I swear. If I can't convince them not to cut off the connection between Earth and the Globe, I'll get you and Tan here before that happens," Valerie promised.

"Is this Excision thing truly the only way to prevent the Fractus from coming to Earth?"

"I don't know about that. But Midnight believes it is."

"Midnight agrees with Chern?" Thai asked. Valerie nodded, and he raked his fingers through his hair. Midnight had been the one to help Thai understand what was happening to him when he first experienced symptoms as an amoebiate, and Valerie knew how highly he thought of her.

"Do you ever talk to Midnight?" Valerie asked.

"She visits when she has time, but she never mentioned this, either."

"I'm sure she didn't want to worry you."

"I guess I need some time to process this," Thai said, and then turned to Tan, who was still unconscious. "What if he doesn't wake up in time? I can't leave him."

"I'll get you both here, I promise."

He nodded distractedly. Inexplicably, he changed the subject. "Did you ever find out anything about your dad?"

Valerie shook her head. "Only that he isn't Leo. I'm not sure where to look next."

"Do you think—are prophecies ever wrong?" Thai's eyes drilled into hers, like her answer was life or death.