Chapter 18

The meeting with Gabriel was rescheduled for the next day, and Henry and Valerie insisted on joining and meeting the Council. Azra agreed, on the condition that Valerie's magic returned and that they did something fun that night instead of worrying.

"We should ask Cyrus," Henry said. "He always has good ideas. I love that guy."

"Right back atcha," Cyrus said, joining them at the entrance to their dorm. He slapped Henry on the back.

"We need a distraction," she explained. "Any ideas?"

"I do have one. I want to show Cara that magic can be a force for good, so she stops thinking she's tainted."

"That's a tall order." Valerie bit her lip, considering, as they all went inside to the cafeteria. "What if we introduced her to the boy that Darling helped, Emin?"

"That's perfect!" Cyrus exclaimed. "I bet he lives with the clan of the People of the Woods on the border of Arden. I have a friend, Cerulean, who left them to join the Society of Imaginary Friends a few years back. His parents were super mad—we kinda bonded over it." Cyrus's parents had also been furious when he moved to Arden and embraced magic, so Valerie could see how their friendship made sense.

"Let's hope he's forgiven by now, for Cara's sake," Henry said.

"I'll find out," Cyrus said. He crossed the crowded cafeteria to talk to a tall boy with dark hair that had glints of gold in it. He nodded thoughtfully as Cyrus talked to him.

"What's he up to?" Cara asked suspiciously. She put a tray loaded with goodies down at Henry and Valerie's table.

"An adventure for you," Henry said.

"It's the last one, then. After tonight, I'm going home."

Cyrus approached the table with his friend. "Everyone, this is Ceru. He's agreed to take us to his village tonight."

"I was planning a trip home today, as it happens," Ceru said in a voice that was nearly a whisper. "Tonight is the Festival of a Thousand Wishes."

"What's that?" Cara asked, intrigued in spite of herself.

"You'll see," he said with a smile.

"And his cousin, Emin, will be there, too," Cyrus added with a wink when Cara wasn't looking.

After dinner, Ceru led the group out of the winding streets of Silva and into the woods beyond. There was a buzz of energy that seemed to rustle through the leaves. The jolt of magic made Valerie feel awake, like something exciting was about to happen.

They reached a clearing that was filled with a hundred People of the Woods. It was a perfect circle, and the only light came from thousands and thousands of fireflies. The effect was otherworldly.

"What happens next?" Cara whispered breathlessly to Ceru.

"Listen," he said.

The high, sweet voice of a young boy singing in a strange language filled the air. Valerie was surprised to see a familiar face behind the unearthly voice. Emin was breathing out music in the form of a pinkish light that wound through the group like fog. Everyone it touched joined in the song, and when she breathed it in, she found that she, too, knew the words and the tune.

Valerie began to sing, and she was drawn out of herself. It was as if she could sense every creature in the woods around them, all listening to this song of thanks, of a thousand wishes that they, too, would prosper as the People of the Woods did, and live in peace, unharmed. The trees around the clearing rustled, and she could see the eyes of hundreds of animals watching them.