Chapter 15

Valerie fell asleep waiting for Kanti to return, and again she had her terrible dream of Azra and Sanguina and the darkness that wanted to claim her. She woke up with a pounding heart. When Kanti came out of their bathroom, she would only say that Henry said he forgave her, but he wanted some space.

Valerie worried about her brother on her walk to her Guild. She didn't want him to shut out Kanti the way he was shutting her out. He needed someone who could pull him out of himself and into the world.

She was so deep in thought that she didn't notice Azra and Gideon talking by the fountain in the middle of The Horseshoe until she practically stumbled into them.

Valerie, good timing. We were hoping to catch you before you began your training today.

"Is everything okay?" she asked, noticing the tension in Gideon's stance.

"It's been decided that a team is going to Dunsinane to search for the Black Castle," he said.

"But how will we find it without the guide from the prophecy?"

"Chrome believes that we will find that guide only if we are looking for him. He can't justify waiting any longer for help to come when Jet and Kellen are missing."

"What do you think?" Valerie asked.

"We didn't find anything there when we searched before," Gideon replied. "But there have been rumors that the People of the Woods may have information that could help us. At the very least, maybe we will find our guide there."

Azra shook her head doubtfully and pawed at the ground. Something is wrong with this plan.

"You may be right, but it's been decided. The Knights are spoiling for a fight, and their need for action cannot be repressed any longer."

"How can I help?" Valerie asked. She saw Azra and Gideon exchange a glance.

"I want you to come with me and help me lead the mission," Gideon said.

Her heart raced at his words. Surely he, of all people, knew how inexperienced she was.

I have no doubts you could do it, Azra's soft voice chimed in her mind. But I do not think you should. You are still a child, and you have had too little time in your life to behave like one.

"She'll never be like other children. More and more, people ask for her guidance. I can only shield her from it for so long. It is time for her to begin embracing the position that has been thrust on her."

Valerie's heart pounded uncomfortably. "I thought all that talk about me was dying down."

Gideon shook his head. "Many of the Knights watch you train. Even the doubters are starting to believe in how powerful you are. And news of your selflessness during your test to become an apprentice leaked out as well. Many believe that only you can keep us off of a destructive path."

"This is crazy," she said, taking a step backward. She wished she could run away.

"It is unfair to ask one so young to put the needs of the whole above your own. But I believe your unique qualities are necessary to guide us to the path of peace. Your choices will reverberate around the Globe," Gideon said.

Her stomach was in knots, and she crossed her arms in front of herself defensively. Azra made a small noise of sympathy.

There is time later for her to evolve into the leader she is meant to be.

"I think we should let her decide. Valerie, will you lead this trip to Dunsinane with me?" Gideon asked, studying her intently.

"I-I can't," she said, ashamed.