Chapter 13

The next day, Gideon insisted that she train despite her injury in order to learn how to fight when she was at a physical disadvantage to her attacker.

"Picture the pain in your mind—give it a shape and form," he instructed.

She imagined that it was a bright glowing ball like a little sun that was burning her from the inside out. She nodded.

"In your mind you will find a box. Do you see it?"

She envisioned a steel trunk with a huge lock, and she nodded.

"Now take your pain and wrestle it into the box. It may be slippery and strong, but you are stronger."

Gideon's suggestion reminded her of how she'd learned to compartmentalize her pain after she'd been attacked when she lived on the streets, or a few times when she'd been beaten by her foster parents. She'd learned quickly that showing weakness only led to being a target more often, so she became an expert at masking her pain. Over time, it became more than faking stoicism. She learned to ignore that part of her mind when she really needed to.

She concentrated, trying to pick up the ball, but when she touched it, it burned her fingers. She was annoyed with herself. Why hadn't she picked something simpler to be the embodiment of her pain? Frustrated, she kicked it, and it skittered toward the box. She threw open the lid and grabbed the ball, but she couldn't lift it. It weighed a ton. She grunted and strained, getting sweaty in the process.

Someone laughed—it sounded like Claremont, the other recruit who was close to her and Juniper in age. She was seven feet tall and had a tendency to use her height to try to intimidate the other recruits. "What's taking so long? Are you showing off?"

"Shut it, Monty," Juniper said, using the nickname that Claremont couldn't stand.

Annoyance flashed through her at Claremont's comment, and she channeled it. She heaved her pain into the box and slammed it shut. Then she locked it. She opened her eyes, and saw that the recruits were all staring at her.

"I can still feel the pain, but I can move around it, somehow," she said.

"Let's see how tightly you've trapped it," he said.

Without waiting for her to get her bearings, he drew a practice sword from the weapons rack and tossed it to her. Then he grabbed a second practice sword for himself and began to attack. Valerie's magic pooled inside her and her response was automatic. She parried with Gideon, stopping his first blow an inch from her shoulder.

She was surprised that he was pushing her this hard, but she trusted that he had a reason, so she gave it her all. Her focus sharpened and her magic raced through her veins. Their practice swords flashed in the sunlight, moving so quickly that they were a blur.

Amazingly, she landed a light blow on Gideon's stomach. He leaped backward, on the defensive now. She faltered. It was the first time she had ever hit him with her sword. Was he okay?

Her distraction cost her the fight. Her hesitation was all he needed to knock her sword to the ground, and she fell, her pain returning with a deep throb in her back. She stifled a groan.

Gideon stood, watching her, and then smiled proudly. "Well done, Valerie. You truly did trap your pain inside your mind. I have never seen it done on the first try before."

He shook her hand, as he insisted that the recruits always do at the end of a sparring match. She could see that he was sweating as much as she was. She was still stunned that she had landed a blow, and when she turned around, she could see her surprise mirrored on the faces of the other recruits. Even Monty gave her a grudging nod of respect.