Chapter 1

My face pressed upon the cool glass as I stared out longingly at the trees as we sped down the highway. The trees mocking and inviting me to come and play as more lined up on each side of the interstate and concrete buildings are forgotten. We started winding our way through the mountains and the sky darkens as the trees began to loom over us blocking out the sun.

"Celina... Celina..CELINA!" my uncle voice stirs me from my trance and I look over to see him shaking his head. "Look I know you are tired but I promise this is the last one we have to visit. I don't have to remind you this is the most important one." He kept his eyes on the road but I saw him slump a little in his seat. So I wasn't the only one tired of constantly moving from town to town.

"What time will we get there?" I asked reclaiming my spot on the window as I watch the forest thicken and flashes of sunlight peeping through the trees.

"We have another two hours before we reach town. Why don't you get some sleep." My uncle peered over with the look of concern and worry over my nonresponsive posture.

It wasn't that I was really tired of traveling but just tired of what lies ahead. I felt like a trick pony that was paraded in front of an audience to perform and win them over. Of course if only it was for pure entertainment or money maybe I would be in a better mood. But my life depended on each performance that I gave and at times it became frustrating. In my fantasy, I felt that I shouldn't have to prove myself worthy but just demand that they pledge their loyalty to me. Show over! Sometimes I fantasize that I am a normal wolf that belongs to a normal pack, with no responsibility but to have fun with my friends, find a mate, and have a couple of pups. Just in that order. Only in reality, I was born a royal and nothing was normal about my life. My life was shattered into a million pieces fourteen years ago, when I was only five years old. That is when a happy, sheltered princess was thrown into the harsh realities of death and destruction. The realities that no child should ever have to suffer and survive, death of my parents and the destruction of a happy life.

The stopping of the car jarred me from my sleep as my head dislocated from the window. My uncle had pulled over on the side of the road and by the look on his face he was ready to give one of 'you know the drill' speeches. My uncle was a very thorough man and I secretly call him anal as he like to go over and over what our duties were.

"Ok Celina, now Alpha Halder will not be like the others. He is very cautious and calculating. He will not offer us support unless you prove to him that you are worthy. He has the largest pack in the US, so I can't repeat myself enough when I say how important it is we get his support."

"I know Uncle Thadius, I will do my best." I will be the best trick pony he has ever seen!

"Celina I'm serious. I have known Brant a long time but our friendship will not be enough. Understand."

"I'm sorry Uncle Thadius, I know." Damn my uncle always can tell when I'm being sarcastic.

"Celina it does help that I can hear your thoughts!" my uncle laughed and I scrunched my face forgetting that I didn't put my mind barriers up. Ugh!! Hey I just woke up, I smiled. My uncle was still laughing as we pulled up to the 100-feet tall iron gate.

It wasn't one of those gates that had bars and you see right through onto the property. It was a solid iron gate that was not welcoming, it looked cold and sterile and made out of? Oh my.. it was made out of silver, the one know natural element that was like poison to us wolves. The silver gate was flanked by concrete walls that also looked like it was coated in silver and barbed wire complemented the tops of the massive walls. There was a slight humming sound that I determined came from the barbered wires which meant that if the silver didn't burn you the electrified wires will finish you off. I started to get a little nervous as I glanced at the intimidating walls wondering once we cross that threshold will we ever be able to come back out. My uncle was speaking into the intercom and I watched as the iron gate open faster than I anticipated. It didn't swing open but slid from the left to the right. As it slid open it revealed several armed guards with their weapons pointed toward us. Some of the men walked around the car with the guns trained on the other side of the gate, as if they were expecting people to run in behind the car. Once we were through and the gate was sliding closed, my uncle stopped the car. I looked over to my uncle, my eyes questioning.