All Celebrities Need a PA

Chapter 13

“Hi Mrs. Delafield,” said the girl. She pushed her huge glasses up her nose with her index finger. 

“I’m your  . . .” began the girl. She pushed a strand of unruly light auburn hair that had escaped from her headband from her face. 

“I know who you are,” said Fiona, interrupting the girl. She mentally chastised herself for her harsh tone as she saw the girl flinch. The girl began to pull at her pastel green cardigan. Fiona looked at the girl. It was obvious that this girl was painfully shy. She avoided Fiona’s eyes and stared down at her Keds. It wasn’t her fault that Fiona had horrible luck with PAs.

“I’m sorry. What is your name?”

“Alice.”

Fiona walked into the apartment and closed the door. She took a deep breath to calm her nerves. It had been a couple of years since she had an assistant. Maybe she should move on. She sat on her couch and motioned for Alice to do the same. Alice looked like a little abandoned puppy. She slowly approached the couch as if Fiona would lunge out at her. She lifted her eyes once until they met with Fiona’s blue ones. She responded by continuing to avoid Fiona’s eyes and then her face. After what seemed like forever, Alice sat down on the couch as far away from her new employer as possible. 

“Alice, why do you want to be some spoiled celebrity’s lackey?” 

Alice looked surprise at the choice of words. After a moment of shock, Alice got her bearings together.

“I have to help support my boyfriend. He is an actor as well. Small parts now, but he has potential I am sure.” Alice’s face brightened up with the mention of her boyfriend. 

“What about you? What do you want to do?” Alice looked lost for a moment as if she had never thought about her dreams before. 

“I don’t know, but I am willing to help with Billy’s dream until I find my own. I like helping people.” Unless Alice was a great actress, she was telling the truth. She truly found happiness from helping people.

“I will warn you Alice. My last PAs were not exactly the most trustful types. I am a little wary, but I am willing to give you a trial run because you seem truthful.”

“Mrs. Delafield, I really appreciate this. It will help with the bills until Billy gets his next job.” Fiona could feel the worry come through. 

“I pay very well for your help and your confidence.” Fiona gave Alice a meaningful look. Alice looked confused until it dawned on her; then she looked appalled. 

“I completely understand what you are saying. I would never do anything that made you uncomfortable or not trust me.” She shook her head so vehemently that her glasses slipped. She fixed them as a light blush singed her cheeks. 

Fiona giggled. Alice gave a small smile. “Thanks. So first order of business. What does Sarah want me to do now?”

Alice scrambled through the satchel that lay at her side. She pulled a tablet out and began clicking away. 

“Okay. Sarah set up two meetings for you. You have the one with the Teralin heads and the director for tomorrow. This will just be to discuss your interest and set up an audition. Today, she scheduled you for meeting with William Bradley.  We have two hours. Sarah called in a favor to get you one of the first spots. She made sure to mention that you must be there. The major players of the production team will be there. Big-names.”

Alice watched as the light in Fiona’s eyes that appeared at the mention of Teralin was burned out at the mention of William Bradley. 

“Did I do something wrong?” Alice freaked. She must have done something wrong. She probably messed up the names or something.