The Glamor and the Fame

Chapter 1

“Would you just smile?” said Matt Hudson as he tugged on Fiona Delafield’s arm just a little too hard. Fiona tried to put on a smile for the cameras as they continued to walk down the red carpet. Her co-star was rapidly getting on her nerves. She agreed to take a few pictures with him for publicity sake, but Matt had clung to her. Just because she had played his love interest in the movie did not give him the right to touch her as if they were close. As soon as the two movie stars walked through the door, Fiona unattached her arm from the crook of his with more force than necessary. She knew that it was a bad idea to come alone to the movie premiere. At least, a date would have kept her close to him. Doing her best to appear happy, she walked around the room and mingled to distract herself from her loneliness.

“So nice of the lovely Fiona to join us. I am sure the showing will be wonderful especiallythanks toyour scenes,” said the director Raymond Grier. Fiona didn’t like the look that he gave her as he eyed the bosom of the dress and down to the knee-length hemline that showed a little of her calves. The dress was a simple strapless dress with a sweetheart neckline. Fiona berated herself for picking a dress that showcased her assets so openly while she tried to hide her disgust at the director’s gaze. “Fiona, this is the director. Not the time to get angry,” Fiona said to herself as she continued to smile at whatever Raymond was saying.

“If you’ll excuse me, I am going to get something to drink.” Raymond lifted his glass as she left. Stopping one of the waiter, she hastily grabbed a flute of champagne. Her hand shook with anger. Taking a deep breath, she prepared to chug down the glass when someone grabbed her arm, stopping her.

“Please let go or would you like to deny me the pleasure of good drinks? You can buy me drinks later if you like.” She was in no mood to hear some guy chatting her up. She honestly wanted to complete her obligation and head home.

“I can see you are not in a good mood. Even less of a reason to drown your sorrows in alcohol,” said a voice that was too familiar. That caring tone even more familiar.

“Cole, you’re here. I didn’t think you would be able to make it.” A genuine smile popped up on Fiona’s face at the sight of her big brother.

“How can I miss my little sister’s movie premiere?” He asked while he gave her a hug, squeezing her tight.

“You say that as if this is my first movie.” Fiona grimaced.

“I know this is not your first and it will definitely not be your last,” he said as he pinched her cheek. It sadden him when he found his sister in a corner, preparing to drown herself in alcohol. Obviously, his worries were well-founded. His sister was losing her zeal it seemed. No longer did he find her excited about a new part. No longer did she want to stay on the set unless she absolutely needed to. No longer did she beg for him to come support her at her premieres. Fiona had lost her love for acting. Cole was not sure that he could help her get it back.

“I just wished that I didn’t have to waste your time with movies like this. I’m cast in the same role. Blond Bombshell. Matt Hudson is the retired SEAL who is supposed to protect me. Lots of action. You might like it,” she said blandly. It was as if she were describing a book, not a real live-action movie she had participated in.

“I support you in all your works.” It was not a total lie. Cole supported her, but he could understand her lackluster feeling for this latest action flick. That’s just it. Fiona had only been cast in action flicks since she started doing movies. Even Cole could see that his sister had blond bombshell looks which led to her being type-cast as the sex object love interest in action movies. Cole tried to go to every premiere, but he never liked having to watch his sister act like a sex object. Once he made the mistake of looking around during one of her scenes, he had to excuse himself to go to the bathroom because he wanted to hurt every one of the guys in the room for looking at his sister like she was a piece of meat. There was nothing he could do. She picked the roles. He just wished that they showed her real acting talent instead of her physical assets to say the least.