Being Just Friends with Celebrities

Chapter 11

“Stace, he’s pissed, isn’t he?”

“Yep. I’m heading home. Talk to him. ” Stacy picked up her purse and was on her way.

Fiona began to attempt cooking a meal. She had called Lillie earlier to ask her to give up the recipe to her cheesy chicken and broccoli casserole. Something simple that her low cooking skills could manage, but still tasty. When she was sure that it was cooking, she went outside and knocked on Brick’s door. There was a shuffle of feet before it was silent. It was as if he was sure that he wanted to open the door.

“Come on, Brick.” Brick opened the door and stared down at her which was pretty intimating since he was at least a head taller than her.

“I told you to call me as soon as you think of opening the front door.”

“I didn’t think you would answer.”

“Hmph.”

“I made a casserole. Why don't you come over and we'll talk about the headlines.”

“What if another picture gets snapped? I already have several messages from your brother reminding me that I am a bodyguard and not an escort, so I should stop seducing you on his dime.”

Fiona winced. Cole was not a good person when he was angry.

“I’m sorry. Come over.”

“Fiona.” His voice told of his frustration. “I might be stepping over the line, but this.” He pointed his finger to himself to her and back. “Whatever this is becoming can’t be. Your brother is right. I am getting paid to protect you, not flirt with you. I need to concentrate on finding this stalker, so you will be safe.”

Even though nothing major had happened between them, she felt that they could possibly be something. Something great. Much better than her past relationships. She tried again.

“It is just dinner. We are two adults eating together. Cole won’t mind that.”

“No. It won’t be. That call the last time.” He ran his hand through his hair. “You don’t understand . . .”

“What if Cole was not in the picture? Is it because he can . . .” She shifted her weight from one feet to the next.

“It is not just Cole. We are too different. You saw the tabloids and thought it was a normal casualty of being famous. I saw that and felt my privacy was violated. I don’t like having my face plastered all over the place. I like to be able to walk in stores and not have people staring at me the whole time. You are just in a different league all together.”

“Cole, that’s not tr..”

“Don’t. It is. I am a simple guy. You are a star. I think we should stick to our roles. I will do my best as your bodyguard because I think you are an amazing woman, but that is it.”

“You are pretty set on this, huh?”

“Yes. You can bring over the casserole, but I don’t think we should eat together anymore. It is unprofessional.”

“Fine. I will bring you over a plate and then I will leave you alone.”

“Thank you. I appreciate it.” She hurried to her apartment as he watched. She shut the door and checked the casserole. It looked to need 5 minutes more. She paced as she thought about that conversation.

“Choco, he has to feel something right. That is why he won’t eat with me. There are no cameras in my home. I just tempt him too much.” She gave a weak laugh.