Saved (Ten)

Saved (Ten)

I shot him.

To be honest, I didn't even know I had until I heard Castiel screaming at me. His blue eyes filled with a pain so raw that even I couldn't bear to look at myself...to look at the gun in my hands, the hands that were now going to be stained with Dean's blood. 

I shot him...

"Sam..." Dean choked out, his eyes flickering between green and black and I swear to you...my heart stopped when they landed on green. "I...I'm so sorry," he whispered, shaking his head in disbelief and I winced as Castiel tugged the gun from my hands, raising it up to my face. And, at that moment, I wanted nothing more than for him to shoot me. To make me feel the same pain that I had brought upon Dean, but it was like Castiel couldn't. Even though his eyes shined with hatred, he didn't have to the strength to pull the trigger and I could hear Dean asking him not too, his voice low and...defeated, and just as I opened my mouth to give him the go ahead, to let Cas give me what I deserved he cursed suddenly and spun around, aiming the barrel right at Bobby, who had been starting towards his shot gun. And even though Bobby looked absolutely terrified and upset, I knew that Cas wouldn't shoot him. Just like he didn't hurt me.

And just like that, it hit me.

I shot him.

I shot DeanI shot my Dean. And as my eyes connected with his emerald green ones, I could feel the pain slap me right in the face. What have I done? 

"Sam, don't just stand there! Do something!" Bobby barked, but how could I? I turned against the very man I promised to trust. I shot him, without a second thought, not once asking myself if this was really necessary. Because the man that I was staring at now...he was not the vampire that had been set on tearing open Bobby's neck. But the man that I had fallen in love with. The man that was currently pushing himself up and off the ground, digging his fingers through his stomach and letting the bullets fall onto the ground with a loud clink.

"Dean..." I whispered softly and his eyes flickered up to mine, hundreds of emotions flickering through them before he dropped his hands to his side and closed his eyes, taking in a deep breath before suddenly...

he was out the door.

"Shit! Sam, do something!" Cas snapped, worry laced in his voice and, for a second, I couldn't move. My eyes glued to the bullets that I had put into Dean-bullets that I had so helplessly resorted to. I'm so sorry, I thought to myself, feeling tears start to form in my eyes, but then I heard Castiel yell at me again and it was like I snapped out of whatever trance I was in. I have to do something...I...Dean...yes, I have to go get Dean...

"Dean, wait!!" I cried out as I chased after him, pushing myself faster despite the pain in my legs. It didn't matter. None of it did, all I knew was that I had to stop him.

That was the only thing on my mind at that moment. I didn't care how familiar this felt, running through this dark and gloomy forest, my heart pounding, my legs aching, the trees passing by me in a colorful blur of brown and green. Even as the leaves scratched at my skin, all I could focus on was the vampire running ahead of me, the vampire running from me.

Dean.

I was just as shocked as you were.

I had never thought the day would come when Dean Winchester would be running away from me of all people, because honestly, why would he? He had saved my life countless times. Hell, he had even turned into a vampire because he had been trying to protect me! and so to see him here, ignoring my pleas it...well, it hurt. Because we had been through everything together, hadn't we? We had fought for each other, killed for each other, lied for each other and now..that was all fading away.

All because I had made a mistake.

"Dammit, Dean! Stop!" I cursed, tripping over a loose branch and I gasped, that familiar feeling of deja vu coming back, except this time I wasn't afraid of the vampire in front of me, only afraid of the pain I had caused it, especially when Dean stopped and turned to look at me, his eyes as black as night.

"I don't think I can," he said quietly, eyes flickering from black to green and my heart raced.

No, no, no! We still had hope, didn't we?

I could still save him...

right?

"Dean," I whispered softly, holding out my arm towards him and his eyes darted down it. "Please, don't leave me." The tears flowed out freely now, and I could see the pain in his eyes, the struggle between staying and leaving and, for a moment, he started forward, his hand reaching up towards mine before he suddenly lurched back, his eyes going back to black.

"I can't do this anymore. I...you were right," he chuckled bitterly, his voice shaky, "I am a monster..." and just like that...

he was gone.

And he took my heart with him.

________________________________________________