Madison Blues

Chapter 1

"Get out of my face!" The six-foot four basketball player shouted at the reporter.

Even though his voice was loud, Madison didn't shrink back. Instead she further pursued her target.

"Jerome! Wait. I just have one more question," she shouted at him as she jogged behind him. His long legs quickly created distance between them and Madison was trying her best to keep up. A bodyguard stood between her and Jerome not allowing her to get closer than the normal fifteen feet. "Jerome, why haven't you taken the paternity test?"

He quickly stopped and turned towards her. "What is your problem? Is your life so dull that you have to invade mine? Here's something you can put on record, Go fu-"

"Whoa Jerome, watch it," his agent warned.

Jerome rolled his eyes and directed his attention back to Madison. "Get your own life."

"It's a fair question Jerome. You have a cheerleader for the team claiming she is pregnant with your baby. Why not take the test and disprove it?" She asked.

"What and give you more drama to report? Why don't you get a real job!" He shouted before turning around and going into the luxurious 5 star hotel. Madison stopped at the entrance unable to go inside.

"Why don't you get a real job," Madison scoffed. "Basketball players...jeez." She switched off her mini recorder and made her way back to the taxi.

The interview with star pro basketball player Jerome Matthews had been going really well. He was all laughs and talking fluidly about his chemistry with his teammates. His recent transfer to Orlando Magic was going to make for a top-notch story and a huge headliner. This was her chance to beat everyone to the scoop, but his current scandal was eating at her the entire time.  After a quick question about the scandal, Jerome blew up and left the interview. Madison followed him back to his hotel in hopes of trying to clear the air and get a quote. That didn't happen. Madison sighed as she approached the taxi and got in.

"Orlando International Airport, please." She told the driver.

Staring at her phone she dreaded having to call her boss. This wasn't Madison's first slip up.  It was at least her third. While she loved her job, Madison had a problem with athletes getting away with scandals. None of the sports magazines wanted to touch anything controversial with a ten-foot pole. They left that to the smear magazines. However, she felt that as a journalist with a sports emphasis it was her duty to get the full story. Unfortunately, not everyone agreed.  She slowly dialed the numbers. The ringing set her nerves a fire. A secretary answered.

"Hi Amber. Can I speak with Michael?" Madison asked. The secretary connected her to his office phone. It seemed like eternity before he answered.

"Hello?"

"Mike, it's Madison. I've got good and bad news."

There was silence. Then he said, "What is it?"

"I got the interview, but it was stopped short." Madison paused before continuing, "I asked about the baby momma."

"Really! Come on, Madison. The man signs a $30 million dollar trading contract and you bring up the slutty cheerleader who got pregnant?"

"Whether she's a cheerleader or not he still has a responsibility. Besides that we are journalists. The guy isn't perfect."

"Well he damn near is!" Mike shouted. Silence followed afterwards and Madison wasn't sure if he hung up or she lost connection. However, he continued, "I think it is time you took a break. You've clearly lost sight of what is important and I think you need time off."

Madison's heart dropped. Time off was never her thing. She loved her job and didn't want to lose her dream. 

"No. I am not taking time off. Look, I am sorry. I don't know what I was thinking. I'll just be sure to no longer ask questions off the script."

"We both know that's not who you are. " Mike thought for a moment and then continued, "I'll do you a favor. I've got some teams training in South America that have a few players that are up and coming. Go check them out and write me some articles."

"The D-league! Are you kidding me?" Madison's voiced raised as the idea sunk in.

"Look Kid, I am doing you a huge favor. My other option would be to fire you. Would you rather have that?"

"No."

"Fine. Then take my punishment, fly to South America with a smile on your face, and deliver me some articles. About basketball!"

With that Mike hung up and Madison was left with the incessant beeping of the dead tone. She clicked the red circle and exited out of the call screen. As the driver drove through the center of town, Madison slumped in her chair.  However, her pity party was cut short by an incoming email beep on her phone. She clicked on the notification and read the message before her. She started to laugh as she read the reminder for the 10th year reunion for her old high school.

"Great!" She thought. "Can it get any worse?"