Ay Vamos

Chapter 10

"Bienvenido a Medellin! Welcome to Medellin." The female robotic voice greeted Ana and Meg as they deplaned and made their way to baggage claim.

A sense of joy filled Ana when she saw Meg at her gate in Atlanta. It was the first sign that her email was received. Michelle and Madison were still in question. Although, Ana doubted that a trip down from Nicaragua and a break from the D-league would stop Madison from coming.

She scanned the crowd looking for Diego. Families hugged loved ones as they approached the exit and tourists wandered around trying to decipher the signs written in Spanish. Her eyes landed on a tall redhead about 100 ft. away.

Before she could think, Ana heard her voice call out, "Madison?"

The girl turned around and quickly walked their way. "Hey! I was hoping you guys would be here," she said as she hugged Meg and Ana.

"Did you just get in?" Meg asked.

"No, I got here yesterday, but I kept an eye on incoming flights and kind of guessed you guys would be on this one. Lucky I guess."

"Glad to have you here, Madison," Ana said. The friends exchanged an understanding nod. It was nice to see her old friends again, but in the back of her mind remembered the impending doom that no one knew where Sarah was. It was bittersweet to say the least.

"Oi! Miss Stone!" A tall, cleanly shaved, tan, Colombian man made his way towards the small group of women. His white cotton shirt hung loosely exposing just enough of a chest tattoo. Diego had been a cocaine dealer in the early days of Pablo's run; however, his life took a turn when he was caught at a Miami airport and sent to prison. After being release, Diego took up yoga, meditation, and a new job. Despite the changes, some of his past showed through from time to time. One being his connections - Ana had met him on a story three summers ago. His knowledge of the underbelly world helped her get amazing interviews that also helped her score an even better job. Since then Ana kept Diego on lock.

"Diego!" Ana exclaimed as she saw her friend. The two exchanged hugs and Ana introduced him to her friends. "Madison, Meg, this is Diego. He's my fixer and friend. He knows Medellin better than anyone."

"Hi Diego," Meg said offering her hand for a handshake. Much to her surprise, Diego wrapped his arms around her.

"Any friend of Ana's is a friend of mine. Welcome!"

"Nice to meet you," Madison said with a nod. Diego smiled, his eyes glistening.

"Where are you girls staying? I can take you there now."

"Well I haven't booked us a place to stay, yet," Ana said turning to Meg and Madison. "Sorry, but I know of a great place not too far from here."

"No, don't worry about it," Madison said quickly. "I actually know someone who's offered to help us out. In fact, that's where I stayed last night."

"Bueno!" Diego exclaimed. "Listo?"

"Great! I think we are good to go then," Ana said. Diego stepped behind the girls and picked up the luggage.

"Have you heard anything from Michelle?" Meg asked.

Ana opened her email app to double check. "She sent me an email during our flight." Ana read through the message, "She'll be here tomorrow morning. Diego, do you think we could make another trip up here in the a.m.?

"Si, no problemo."

The group made their way to a taxi and loaded their belongings.

The sun settled in the middle of the sky, bearing down upon the people below. A gentle wind reminded the citizens that Medellin was still the modern day Eden. Lush land and a constant 70 - 80 degree weather made many visitors believe they had experienced true Paradise. Houses speckled the land and they stretched up into the never ending mountains. Medellin rested in the middle of the natural bowl - the valley. At night, the lights fromm the house created a glow that lit up the hillsides. In the day time, the greens melted beautifully with the brightly colored buildings.

As the taxi came to halt and traffic backed up, Anna asked, "So, Madison who is this person?"

"Just...an old friend." Madison's gazed drifted out the window next to her.

Ana and Meg's gaze met, both girls just shrugged unsure of who could make their friend so reluctant.