Gonna Need the F.B.I

Chapter 8

Ana switched over to her email one last time, there was still nothing from Sarah. She clicked the red "compose" button and entered all of the girls' email addresses. Her message was short and to the point. She told them her flight plans and invited them all to join her in the search. Sending them her flight number, she hoped she'd see them on Colombian ground.

Ana took a deep breath before picking up her office phone. She dialed her boss's extension. The ring seemed to linger as she waited for his voice on the other end.

"Yep?"

"Hey, Jim. Look, I know this is a really bad time, but I have to take that vacation time I saved up."

"Are you kidding me? We get a green light and you have to leave?"

"I know, I know. However, I made a list of the permits and releases we need. I'll pass it off to Jenna and she can work on it while I am away. Besides, I'll be in Colombia...why not make that our next destination after Cambodia?" Ana held her breath; afraid of what he might say.

A deep sigh traveled through the receiver. "Fine. I need you near wifi though. In fact, keep your phone service on. I can't afford to have you off the radar."

"That's totally fine! I can do that."

"Why now?" Jim asked. Ana wasn't sure if she detected worry or if that was just her imagination.

"A friend of mine needs me. It's an emergency, really."

"Okay, kid. Whatever you say." The line went dead.

Ana sighed a sigh of relief. She new it was suspicious to take time off so last minute, especially since her last day off was at least two years ago. She wasn't ready to tell Jim or anyone all the details of this trip. The main reason being that she herself had no idea what was going on. The sick feeling in her stomach grew and Ana could feel her head get lighter. She leaned back in her chair to reset.

A ding from her computer notified her that she had a new email. Ana shot upright and stared at the screen. It was from Diego and in the body text was the number to the U.S. embassy in Medellin.

Ana grabbed her cellphone from her purse and dialed the number.

"U.S. Embassy - Medellin, Colombia, How may I help you?" the woman's voice was perky and had a hint of accent.

"Hello. I need to speak with Ambassador Frank Russert."

"Hold please." Jazz elevator music began to play.

A few minutes passed before anything other than a saxophone was heard on the other line.

"I am sorry, but Mr. Russert is busy."

"Tell him it's regarding Sarah Montgomery and her MIA status."

Again, the jazz music played the melody of a generic song. Ana tapped her foot and rested her head in her right hand as her left held the phone tightly to her ear.

The music cut short and a deep voice came over the line. "Who is this?"

"Hi, my name is Ana Stone. Is this Ambassador Russert?"

"Yes. What do you know about Sarah?"

"I know she's missing."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

Anger rose up in Ana, "I don't have time for this cat and mouse game. I know she is missing and I know you aren't releasing the news. Should I call her family so that they can launch an investigation?"

Frank's voice was desperate, as he said, "No! No, please don't. Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude." He took a deep breath before continuing, "I was just so surprised anyone outside of the Embassy knew what was going on."

"I'd prefer to keep my source a secret, but I found out this morning. I want to help you." Ana kept her voice firm even though inside she felt her emotions swirling. Part of her was grateful he seemed to lighten up and start talking.

"How can you do that?" Frank asked. Ana could tell he was genuinely interested rather than being sarcastic.

"I've done my fair share of searching for people. I am also a close friend of Sarah's, so I know quite a bit about her. I want to help search for her there in Medellin."

There was silence on the line and for a moment Ana panicked that Frank had hung up.

"Mr. Russert are you –"

"I am here. I'm...just trying to think." Again silence fell between them. "Will it just be you?"

"No, I have a few colleagues who will be joining me."

"Okay." Frank said.

"What can you do to help?" Ana was getting a little frustrated with his lack of words. "I can't do this alone without the assistance of our country aid."

"Here's what I can do," Frank's voice gained its strength once again. "I can't give you police since we are not yet releasing information of the kidnapping, but I might be able to get you an agent."

"An agent?" Ana asked, a little confused. "Like, who? James Bond?" she laughed at the absurdity of the statement. She was surprised to hear Frank's answer.

"Someone like that. Let me check in with the FBI and see who they have available. I'll talk to you after."

"Okay." Ana was a little unsure of what he was saying and found herself at a loss for words.

The line went dead.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AAAAAAAHHHH I am so sorry it has been so long since my last upload. Last Saturday, I sat down in the library and pumped out a bunch of chapters so that I can upload on a regular basis again. It seems like every Saturday is going to need to be a writing day.

I've also decided to upload this story on Thursdays. Since it's later in the week, I find more time to post a chapter and do some editing.

Sorry for some last name discrepancies. I went through the previous chapters and changed some last names to make sure they match up with the new chapters.

If you enjoy this chapter, be sure to vote it up and let me know what you think in the comments section!!!! Thanks for reading!!! :)