Vows and Sellswords

I laughed and giggled as Alvor tried to catch fish but had no luck. Another one popped up from the water, the fish jumped and smacked his hand before swimming on down the creek.

Alvor shook his head before returning from the creek and setting down next to me. He looked tired as he puffed out," That's some tough fish." I could help but laugh," You've a beautiful laugh, I like it." I stopped laughing and gave in a death glare in which he threw his arms up in surrender but I couldn't hold it in as I then cracked up and continued to laugh.

He joined in with me, I was honestly something when I laughed or giggled because whenever I laughed everyone soon followed. I was just a jovial spirit. I then stopped and wiped the tears from my eyes," I think you shouldn't fish."

He then popped off with one of his witty remarks," To think-my Father was a fisherman, no wonder we were poor."

I then burst out with another wave of uncontrollable laughter," Was he that bad?"

Alvor then laid back and stretched out before rolling to his side," No, he was a good at fishing but he was always to drunk to even find the door, much less his rod."

I stopped laughing and gave a sympathetic stare," I'm sorry, but he never did..."

Alvor said it faster than I could," Yes, he did but," he sat up and pulled out his knife and whetstone and began to sharpen his blade, his eyes meet mine, they were a deep blue. Much like the sea when calm on moonlight nights," my Mother hit harder, come to think of it, it was my sister that hit the hardest."

I smiled and spoke softly," Well lets say I hit my brother harder than he can with his dull practice sword to a straw dummy and he's sixteen, but yet again he never does practice sword fighting. At least I never see him do so."

Alvor chuckled a little and then asked without glancing up," And what about you, can you fight with the sword?"

I scoffed at him," Of course I can," I saw just on eyebrow raise as his eye met mine," not like you would expect a lady to know how." Alvor shook his head before returning back to sharpening his dagger, I felt the heat of anger rise in me," You don't believe me do you?"

Alvor shook his head," Nope."

I crossed my arms at him," And why not?"

Alvor then stopped and stared at me in my eyes," Because women don't fight, unless you're a wildling, one of them spear-wives."

I just shook my head," You don't believe me because you think a woman can't handle herself. But you are wrong, there are plenty of women that know how to fight-"

"And die," Alvor added," many die if the stay in the fight. Women are better off at home and giving birth or working in a whorehouse."

I frowned at Alvor and gave a distasteful glare," So I'm better off a whore. Is that what you're saying about your princess?"

Alvor looked between me and and the forest," I didn't say that."

"No, but you were implying it."

Alvor then gave an irritated huff," And I wasn't meaning it. I was only saying women aren't for the battlefield, they are better off in the day to day chores."

"And what chores are those may I ask? At least what you think women should do?"

Alvor started off saying," Cleaning, men don't know that very well and cooking. They have our children and raise them while the man is away and does as she is told. She never says no to her husband and makes sure the laundry is always done."

I yawned," Is that what men expect, if so then I'd rather stay a virgin my whole life than being stuck with someone so demanding of me. I would never allow a man to control in such a way, the women that allow men to do so are weak." I heard Alvor chuckle at my response," It's not meant to be funny, Alvor. I'm serious about this."

Alvor put his dagger back in it's place and crawled on his knees and over to me where he sat down on his feet and toyed with a curl of mine," As am I, princess. Women are cattle to most men and men want nothing more than dominance over someone else, they care about nothing more than the ale and wine they drink or how many women they've fucked the previous night."

I dropped my gaze but muster what I could to look in his eye ans ask him one final question to the matter," Are you one of these men you speak of?"

Alvor answered bluntly," I am at times as every man is once or twice and maybe everyday of his life but I'm a sellsword, a mercenary. I travel and don't have the time and coin to pay for such pleasures, I live for the moment though, princess."

I then blurted it out before I could stop myself," Taywin."

"What?"

I breathed out," I want you to call me Taywin, you don't understand how much I hate being a Lannister at times. Appearances and learning to be fake and stab everyone in the back when I get the chance, I hate it. I want a normal life were I don't have to dress up and hide my emotions. But why am I telling you? Not as if you would understand."

Silence crept between us as the air hung low and the intense aura of uncomfortable silence was then broken by my sudden words," I would like to have you in my employ, as my guard."

When Alvor didn't answer I added in," You would be paid generously with silver and gold, not to mention a title and respect as my guard. If you serve me then all your wishes will come true for a Lannister always pays their debts."

He stood up and seemed to argue with himself mentally before he turned on me," And why would you want me, there are Lannister soldiers parading about you, they are well trained."

I lashed out the words as I stood up in my defense and stalked forward," They are idiots, trained as they may be but you are fraught with the skill of survival. I would choose a man with a worldly experience than one that has came off an assembly line."

Alvor then whirled around and looked between the path back to his old life and the one I could offer him," You promise gold and riches, respect and women. Do you not?" I nodded to him," Then what are my vows?"

I came closer to him," Your oath will be unwavering loyalty. Break this and you will be branded a traitor of the Realm and will lose your head, and I must have your respect for if you give me none then so shall I, and for heaven's sake please be there when I need you."

Alvor thought for a second before bending down and pulling his sword from his side and holding it out to me, he looked up to me as said his words," You have me loyalty, respect and sword, Taywin Lannister till you no longer have need of me or I am dead."

I placed my hands over his," Then rise no longer a sellsword but as the first of my guard, Alvor Snow."

Well, at this rate I'll be setting in the small council!