6

I woke to the smell of eggs and coffee. I glanced at my phone and realized it was only seven. I hated that I could never sleep in like most people. I stared at the screen; an unread message from Nicolae, sent just after six in the morning, sat there. I swiped it open, afraid that he was going to cancel on me tonight. Instead, it was a good morning text. I read it three or four times before it really sank in.

"I can't stop thinking about you. See you tonight, căpșună."

"You're not exactly good at playing hard to get," I shot back.

With an extra pep in my step, I headed out to the kitchen. Carol was dressed and ready for work, but there was a plate of food on the counter for me.

"Morning," I said. I mentally cursed myself for sounding way too cheerful.

"Good morning, sunshine. What has you in such a good mood?"

I shrugged and grabbed my plate. "Nothing."

"Liar. How'd it go last night?"

"So good," I immediately gushed. "He's basically perfect."

"Wow. Perfect, huh?"

"Yep. Pretty damn close."

"You talk like a girl that just got some," she laughed.

"Nope. Just a kiss. He was a complete gentleman."

"Good," she responded. "So, when do you see him again?"

"I'm going over there tonight for dinner. He claims he's cooking."

"Right," she laughed. "Cooking."

I shrugged. "That's what he said. I'll believe it when I see it."

She sat at the table with her cup of coffee and watched as I ate.

"What?" I asked.

She shook her head. "Nothing. It's just nice to see you happy."

I understood what she was saying. I had been a shell of person since my father died. I hadn't realized it until I felt what Nicolae did to me. I didn't know it when I first met him, but he slowly drew me back to the person I wanted to be. I felt like I could actually be myself around him. I didn't have to put up a front so he would like me; he liked me just the way I was.

My phone alerted me to another text from Nicolae. I checked it only to smile in response.

"What's the point when I already know you like me?"

Well played, sir. Well played.

"Jesus, Holly. One date and you look like you're on cloud nine," Carol said with a laugh.

I glanced up at her. I couldn't even deny it because I was happy. I liked Nicolae. A lot, but there was still the Katerina factor. That was never going away and I didn't know how I felt about it.

"I like him a lot, but that doesn't change the fact that he has a twelve year old daughter that only recently started to like me."

"Are you more bothered by the fact that he has a daughter or because you think she'll go back to hating you?"

It was a valid question. I still wasn't sure. I wanted Katerina to like me and if her behavior towards other women was any indication of how she would react to me, I was in for a world of pain.

"I don't know. I don't even have my own life together. How am I supposed to date someone that has everything together?"

"How do you know he has everything together?"