10

I woke with Nicolae's arm wrapped around my waist just the way I liked it. I loved waking up with him even though I had only done it once before.

"How are you feeling?" He asked. His voice didn't sound gruff; I assumed he had been awake for awhile.

"Much better," I responded with a smile.

I stretched out a little and pushed my back closer to his bare chest.

"You can't forget to eat like that," he scolded.

I scoffed. "It was your fault I didn't eat."

"My fault?"

"You barged in and prevented me from eating dinner."

"I suppose you're right. You should have said something sooner though."

"I wasn't speaking to you."

I could practically feel his eyes rolling at my statement. I suppose it was childish, but it was well deserved.

"I'm going to shower," he said. He started to pull away and kissed my shoulder.

"Where's Carol at?" I called.

"Next door."

With a click of the bathroom door I threw the covers off and crawled to the end of the bed. I pulled my bag up and dug my toothbrush and toothpaste out. I still didn't feel the greatest, but at least it wasn't the crippling weakness I felt last night.

I brushed my teeth and put on my shoes to walk next door.

I knocked on Carol's door, but Alexandru answered.

"Where's Carol?" I asked.

"Sleeping," he nodded his head back to Carol's sleeping figure on the bed.

I pushed past him and went to the bed. I didn't know if she heard me or was just on edge, but she sat up just as I approached the bed. I let out a breath I didn't know I had been holding. It wasn't that I thought Alexandru would do something to her. I just didn't know for sure that he wouldn't.

"Hey," she said, her voice thick with sleep.

"Hey."

I tossed Alexandru a look that told him he should leave us alone. He took the hint and disappeared in the bathroom. I heard the shower start and turned back to Carol.

"I was super sick last night," I said.

"What happened? Are you okay now?"

I nodded. "I'm fine now. It was weird. It started in the car and by the time we got to the room I was dizzy and nauseous. I almost passed out."

"Holly," she scolded. Her eyes widened as if something dawned on her. "When did you and Nicolae start having sex?"

I laughed. "I'm not pregnant!"

"You're not on the pill," she reminded.

"Well, no, but we use a condom every time."

"That doesn't always work."

Fear was the closest emotion I felt. There was no way. At least, I didn't think there was. We were careful every time. The last thing either of us wanted or needed was a baby to complicate things more. That would just be the icing on the fucking cake for this shit show I was calling life.

"I mean, the first time we had sex was a little over a month ago," I said quietly.

She shook her head slowly. She knew I had a really irregular period because of how much I danced. There were times I didn't have my period for a few months then it would be regular for a few months.