Chapter Three: Drive

I kind of feel like life is set in slow motion, I'm sluggish and everyone around me is in fast forward, moving at the speed of light.

People actually seem focused on school while in class, their pens gliding over notebooks to take notes and mint gum snapping from someone in the back of the class.

I have a couple of classes with Nick. He shoots me looks of inquisitiveness and irritation, back and forth. I glare at time. There's still that energy between us, crackling so loudly I swear to god I can hear it sometimes but I despise him.

Savannah sits behind me in English and she starts passing me notes, little comments about Mr. Kinkel and his ugly sweaters or the blonde's shoes a few seats down from us.  I pass some back with my comments and she chuckles softly.

After my first week at Vale Amare, I'm exhausted. I head back to my room, collapse on the soft comforter and let my black backpack fall to the ground. It's new but it's not like everyone else's who happens to all have the number of the costume designer from the movie Clueless because I swear sometimes it's just a bunch of Chers and Eltons walking around.

Eileen is sitting on her bed, pen behind her ear and a sketchbook in front of her. She sighs when I fall on my bed, my head buried into the pillows.

"How you doing?" Her voice feels faraway.

"I hope I choke," I mumble.

"What?"

I roll over and sit up, my hair a mess now.

"I said I'm great."

"Oh, that's good," Eileen focuses on her drawing. She told me she wants to be an artist. If anybody could do it she can she's more talented in one pinkie than I am in my whole body. "Talk to Nick lately?"

"Who's Nick?" I play dumb.

"He's in AP history with you, he told me," She raises an eyebrow at me.

"Really?" I keep playing dumb but she knows that I know.

Eileen opens her mouth to say something but there's a knock on the door. We share a quick glance and I jump up to open it.

"Hi!" Savannah is behind the door. She's changed her outfit from what it was earlier. White Adidas shoes with black knee high socks, a white skirt that hits her mid-thigh and a black crop top. Her hair is pulled into a high ponytail and her lips are a nude pink. She's chewing bubblegum, I can smell it. "Can I come in?"

"Yeah, sure, welcome," I step aside to let her enter and shut the door right after she comes in.

"Hey, Sav," Eileen greets her but stays focused on her drawing.

A beat passes and I plop down on my bed. Savannah stays standing, her arms behind her back.

"What's up?" I ask.

"Layla wants to do something tonight," Her ponytail swings when she looks between Eileen and me.

I still haven't met Layla all I know is she lives right across the hall with Savannah and apparently once shoved a pencil through another girl's hand. I wasn't looking forward to meeting her.

"Any ideas?" Eileen pauses and then looks up at Savannah, tapping the pen on her lips.

"Nick has one," When Savannah says his name I try not to react but I scoff. Both girls look at me and I clear my throat. Savannah gets a knowing look on her face and Eileen quirks an eyebrow up at me. I ignore them.