Chapter Thirteen: Emma

The smell of suntan lotion and strawberry daiquiris was strong. The sun beat down on the teens as they laid strewn across the patio chairs and the pool, tanned legs dipping into the water that cooled their skin.

Emma Ruben Charles sat up on a chair. Her curly blonde hair was high in a ponytail, wisps of golden hair framing around her freckled face. Round sunglasses hid her eyes, as if they held her secrets and she wanted to keep them to herself.

Savannah Katarina Paul sat by the pool, her feet in the water and cigarette in hand. Her brown skin was glowing in the sunlight and her lips were painted a dark red that matched her bikini, her wavy hair cascading over her shoulders.

Blake Charles laid down on the chair next to his sister, arm slung over his eyes as he rested. He was always falling asleep in the sun and then complaining how burnt his chest got. Emma always reminded him to put on sunscreen and he would roll his eyes and say "Thanks, Ruby, I'll remember."

Ruby was the nickname she hated, Ruben was bad enough as a middle name but Ruby made her sound like a five year old. Blake knew she hated it but he did it anyway because every time he called her that she'd give him that wide smile that matched his and she'd flick him in the arm.

Today was no exception to all that and Emma knew that Blake would stay passed out in the lush patio chair while her, Savannah and Nick would do something spectacular. That was Emma's favorite word. spectacular.

Emma stood up and stretched, her bare feet feeling warm as they touched the hot ground. Savannah glanced over at her best friend.

"Nick is taking forever with those drinks," Emma pouted, running a hand through her wild and blonde curls before placing her sunglasses in her hair.

"Go check on him, I bet he's messing them up," Savannah chuckled and slid down into the pool, the cool water easing over her heated skin.

"That's just what I'm doing," Emma gave her a wink before walking into the house, opening the sliding glass door that lead into the ample living room.

She made her way to the kitchen to find Nick leaning against the counter, smoking a cigarette, half made margaritas sitting on the counter.

"My dad'll kill you if he comes home and finds you smoking," Emma stood in front of him and plucked the cigarette from his hands, placing it in her mouth.

She took a drag. Nick gave her a lopsided grin and pulled her by the waist, closer to him.

"Your dad is gonna kill me for a lot more than just that, Em."

Emma giggled as he placed a kiss on her lips. He always lingered when he kissed her like maybe he thought he needed to remember it.

"Why do you do that?" Emma asked him, forehead pressed against his.

Nick's hands held firmly on her hips and Emma had an arm draped over him, fingers lightly caressing his back while she held the cigarette in her other hand, hanging loosely by her side.

"Do what?" He chuckled.

"Love me?"

Nick jerks back slightly to look clearly at her face, freckles splashed across her face like a collection in the sky, green eyes blinking at him under thick eyelashes, pink lips slightly parted in nervousness.

Nick takes a pause before answering knowing this was one of those moments where she wanted him to be real, wanted him to tell her every truth there was about loving her. Emma was always like that. She was poetic in the simplest sense of the word and she wanted everyone to be like that too.

"Because you're you. You matter to me."

That's all she needed to hear because she gave him a grin and then a kiss that she wishes had been longer.

--------------------
author's note!
hey guys I wanted to give you an update on the story! bascially the next few chapters might be a lot shorter than what they usually are because, sadly, this story is ending very soon. it might not even come to a total of 20 chapters, i dont know we'll see!! hope you're enjoying the story and thanks for all the support and love! xoxo gossip girl