Chapter Twenty: Warm

SIX MONTHS LATER

"Hello?" I answer my cell phone on the third ring knowing it would be my mom.

"Happy birthday, sweetie!" She chimes.

"Thanks, mama," I say, slightly pacing around my bedroom. My fancy bedroom.

Savannah and I had gotten an apartment in the heart of New York City thanks to her parents who wanted the best for their daughter which meant me living with her. They were sweet when I met them and insisted paying our rent so we could focus on our educations aka online school which Sav and I were both done with. The plan after that was NYU which her parents weren't thrilled about but they figured the less rich people she were around the less likely she was to jump back into cocaine cause apparently that shit ain't cheap or any drugs for that matter.

"What do you have planned for today?" My mom asks.

"Um," I pause. "Nick's coming over and a few other people, I figured we would play games or something." That was about half true we were going to get drunk on fancy wine that Miles was going to buy with a fake ID and probably order an obscene amount of takeout food.

"Tell Nick I say hi!"

"Yeah, sure."

"Listen, I got to go your dad is trying to bake vegan muffins and he's failing, you know how he is," She sighs playfully. "Happy birthday, again! We love you."

"Love you too," I say. After that the line clicks dead and I toss my phone onto my plush comforter.

Savannah waltz into my room with a handful of dresses. "I can't decide."

"Sav, it's not that many people we don't have to get all dressed up," I say.

"I know but," She pouts. "It's your birthday and we gotta look special."

I roll my eyes and smile. For the next hour I let her do my makeup which is extra sparkly and gold. I change into a silver dress that flows out like i'm wearing a tutu and hugs my chest tightly paired with a bunch of necklaces which makes me think of Dawn and I quietly smile for her, wherever she might be.

There's a knock on the door just as Savannah finishes putting on a blue, skintight dress and kitten heels. Her hair is down and kisses her back and for a moment the happy Savannah with the bubble around her flashes into my mind. But this Savannah is new, genuine happiness emits from her and there's no brokenness inside of her that threatens to tear her down. She's whole.

"Blakey!" Savannah throws her arms around the taller boy and he lifts her off her feet. Miles gives her a hug next and I put myself into the mix of hugs. Miles ruffles my hair.

"Looking angelic as always," He winks at me, jokingly.

"Blake, your boyfriend is flirting is me," I singsong.

"He does that," Blake kisses his cheek. He's holding a christmas wrapped gift. "This is for you by the way, we didn't have any other wrapping paper."

"It's okay," I chuckle and take it from him. "Should I open it now or wait?"

"Open it now it's from both of us," Miles says, shutting the door.

I tear open the packaging and inside is a jar of water and what looks like moss. I raise my eyebrows at them.

"The pond at Vale Amare," Blake explains. "I know you hate it there but this is like a good part of it."

I hold the glass bottle in my hands, the green inside the water swishing around. The first time I had sex with Nick was by that pond. I also happened to have a mental breakdown in that pond. But it was more than that it was full of the memories other people had at that pond, a secret place to hide and now I was holding those secrets people went to ponder on, in my hands.

"Thank you," I say, hugging Blake with one arm and the gift in the other. I hug miles too and he gives me an extra tight squeeze.

"Let's party!" Savannah throws her hands up.

"Okay, miss sober," Miles says.

"Hey, don't be a bitch," Savannah chuckles. "I can still drink."

"In that case," Miles holds up a large paper bag. "This is full of fun."

Savannah grabs the bag and the two go to the kitchen, I pull on Blake's sleeve before he can follow them. "Thank you for this, Blake."

"Yeah, well I figured you needed something from there. I can't take all the credit though um," He shuffles his feet. "This one time for my 13th birthday, Emma gave me a jar of our pool water as a gift. She thought it was hilarious, I was annoyed of course but I guess it's the same idea but nicer."

"I'm sure she would have found this great," I say, not really knowing if she would feel that way but Emma felt like someone I had almost met but didn't, fate had whisked her away before I could but she had loved Nick too maybe for the same reasons I did and that made me feel like I knew her.

"Yeah," Blake nods. "You want me to make you a drink?"

"Sure, I'm just going to put this in my bedroom," I give his arm a comforting touch and retreat to my bedroom. I decide to place the jar on my dresser near the candles and disorganized pieces of jewelry. The water almost sparkles.

I think of the night we snuck into the pool and Nick asked me to his girlfriend, the conversation I had with Dawn and Savannah. Without them I wouldn't be who I was, without him I wouldn't be me. Here I am, 18th birthday, moved out even before I hit the age where that was okay but my parents had never connected with me nor me to them. I am a series of conversations, of traits, of experiences, of fights, of emotions and cells. All those things make me a person and I am not cold because of these things. I am warm.

A knock on the front door brings me out of my thoughts and run into the living room. "I got the door!" I say. I know it's Nick.

I pull the door open and he envelops me in a hug where my feet leave the ground and I spin. He kisses me and sets me down, pressing his forehead to mine.

"Happy birthday, angel," He kisses my nose.

"Hi," I chuckle and keep my arms around my neck, playing his hair.

"Can uh, we sneak away for a bit before it gets too crazy?"

"Yes," I nod. "We'll be right back!" I shout and pull Nick out the door before anyway can stop us. I pull him towards the stairwell.

"Where we going?" Nick twils me before we go up the stairs.

"It's a secret," I quickly kiss him. "Trust me."

I let go of his hand and he follows me all the way up to a door that restricted access. I've gotten pretty good breaking rules so I push the door open and we go outside. The roof. The sun shines on us and I can't help myself, I spin in a circle.

"God, you are fucking gorgeous," Nick sighs. I grin at him.

"So are you."

"Oh, shut up birthday girl," He grabs my waist and places his lips on mine. I swear everytime he touches me it's like i turn to jelly and I never want it to end.

"So," I pull away slightly. "What's up, my love?"

"I just wanted to give you your birthday present," Nick reaches into his pocket and takes out a necklace. It's a thin silver chain with a pendent on the end, the shape of a star.

I gasp. The night at the park when we sat under the stars, kissed under them and then again at the pond when we made love under them, the stars were ours and had had been there throughout our relationship.

"I love it," I touch it lightly. I turn around and lift my hair. Nick places the necklace on me along with all the other ones but this one feels special. I touch the star and hold it, it hits me right next to my heart almost as if it's Nick right where he belongs.

Nick trails his hands down my arms and it gives me goosebumps, I go to kiss him and I put all my love for him into it.

You know when you're in love and your whole world falls into place? You're okay, you can breathe, you have a safe feeling within your chest, a gentleness in your bones, a star inside your very core that burns brightly and intensely. That's how I feel right now.

And I am warm.