Chapter 14- The Library on Oak Street

"The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read."

― Mark Twain

"Tell me what we are doing here in the age of the internet again?" groaned an exhausted Gabriel Martin putting down a yet another book on folklore, but I pretended I barely heard him. "Gale, dude, you've gotta read this book. It's about this guy who wants to prove that vampires don't exist ,but ends up finding out about this flesh eating creature called The Wendigo. When and why did we ever stop reading?"

I looked up,giving him a lopsided smile, while he looked at me with disbelief.

"I have spent the last two hours pouring over ancient mystical curses and all you've done is read some fiction?! You're impossible ,Jason" He shook his head. I grinned wider; I couldn't believe it just took one call to bring him running over here from basketball practice.

"Gale," I leaned forward, handing out the book, "just checked it out". He muttered ,but reached out for the book anyway. "The Curse of the Wendigo," He read the title aloud," by Rick Yancey. Do I really have to?" He muttered to himself ,grumpily .

Fifteen minutes later,however, he was nose-deep in the novel and the ancient librarian came around to "check up" on us. She was a tiny fragile looking thing, her cheeks round and her eyes tiny. "It's been quite a while since teenagers wandered in here" Her voice as sharp as a needle.

Gale let out a little scream and nearly fell off his seat. "Oh hell! I have a family history of heart attacks. Don't do that!"

She laughed quietly. "If young adult horror gives you such a fright, young man, I wonder what the more intense, real stories would do to you. Oh and did you realize, you do need a bath," Her gaze found my stare and held onto it for some time; I gulped. Little old lady was creeping me out.

"What exactly is it that you're looking for?" Confusion replaced the curiosity when she saw 'History of Ancient family names and crests' amidst books labeled myth and horror.

"Um actually, yes" My throat felt really dry, "this may sound stupid, but is there anything about a curse of a screaming lady?". I felt stupid as soon as the words left my mouth.

She didn't thinks so though.

As a matter of fact, I hoped I'd only imagined her eyes grow wide in excitement.