Chapter Two

Two

Uncertain what to think or feel, Gwen shifted restlessly on the carriage seat glancing between Valentine and the shadowy trees speeding past the carriage. On the one hand she was furious and a little unnerved by her husband's behavior this evening, but on the other hand he was paying more attention to her than he had since their wedding day!

A foolish flame of hope lit inside her. Dare she hope that he cared for her even a little? Or was he simply attempting to skirt embarrassment or a scandal.

She cast him a sidelong glance. It was far too dark to discern his expression, but, slumped broodingly against the opposite side of the coach, with arms crossed over his chest he hardly portrayed a caring, pining beau. She gulped. It was no secret that he valued the good name of his family and title above all else. A shiver rushed down her spine, effectively snuffing out the hopeful flame. What did he intend to do with her? Did he plan to usher her into the country and shut her away for good? She wouldn't be the first wife to anger her husband and be banished.

Banished. She shuddered. What a horrible thought.

Anger and despair threatened to swamp her. She'd been so very close to experiencing a sliver of happiness tonight. To living just a little instead of standing by waiting for Valentine to take notice of her. She was tired of waiting. She'd been so excited when the match between them had been proposed. The Valentine name was synonymous with greatness across Britain. Wealthy and powerful, her husband's grandfather had been as famed for his compassion and generosity as his prominent status in the peerage and brilliant business dealings. Gwen's family was not terribly renowned, they had a shoestring claim to the aristocracy, and she'd brought no great riches or sizeable dowry to the marriage. At the time she'd truly believed Lord Anthony Stratford, heir to the Marquis Valentine, had seen something special in her. All too quickly she'd realized it wasn't Lord Anthony who'd taken a shine to her, but his grandfather. Unfortunately, she'd discovered the fact after their nuptials.

Across from her Lord Valentine straightened and flicked a gaze to the window. He reached up as though to straighten his cravat, but dropped his hand when he realized he wasn't wearing one. "Our late and unexpected arrival at the estate is bound to raise questions."

Gwen rolled her eyes. "Perhaps you should have considered that before whisking us into the country. The gossip below stairs will be flying after tonight. We'll arrive unannounced in the dead of winter with no belongings. We are not accompanied by a maid or valet, and you are half dressed."

"Even so," Valentine all but growled, shifting his attention to her, "you will not let on that anything between us is amiss."

"Amiss?" Gwen scoffed, unable to hold her tongue as more than two years' of pent up frustrations boiled over. "There would have to be some affection between us for anything to be amiss. Am I expected to act the blushing bride? I'm afraid that bloom faded long ago."

Valentine narrowed his gaze on her. "You are expected to act like my wife."

Gwen glared back, leaning toward him in challenge. "It would be much easier to do so if you treated me like one."

He stared back at her long and hard. "Very well then." Without further warning he snared her chin and leaned in to take her lips in a firm, impulsive kiss.

Shocked to the core Gwen did not immediately move or shove him away. The kiss was meant to punish her. She understood that all too well, but nevertheless, she liked the crush of his warm lips against hers. She'd spent years waiting for it. Imagining it. Little thrills of excitement rushed trough her middle, warring with the righteous anger pumping through her veins. There was something unexplainably natural about the way her lips fit against his, and for a split-second she wanted to melt right into him. Instinctively she tilted her head to the side so that her lips molded more intimately against his. He, in turn, relaxed and shifted his lips against hers, creating delicious friction and deepening the kiss. In a flash she was reminded of their whirlwind courtship, and all the reasons she'd leapt at the chance to marry him. For one heart stopping instant their problems faded and she simply shared a long overdue kiss with her husband.