Ten

Ten

February 14, 1819

St. Valentine's Day

The gentle patter of footsteps on the stairs alerted Anthony to what he hoped was Gwen's approach. He stood quickly, pulse kicking to a run, and he wasn't disappointed when Gwen swept into the narrow tower room in a cloud of silken robes and night skirts. She froze just inside the door, cheeks high with color, and eyes alight with excitement. She was beautiful, and his chest ached at the sight of her.

A sweet smile stretched her lips. "You're here!"

He swallowed, suddenly nervous with all that he'd been planning that morning. "I've been waiting for you."

Gwen glanced around the tower before turning a questioning gaze onto him. "I thought I'd find another clue up here."

Anthony shrugged. "Just me, I'm afraid. I hope you're not too disappointed."

A beaming smile lit her face. "Not at all. What are we doing up here? It's rather cold."

He glanced to down to her bare toes peaking beneath the white fabric of her skirts, longing to scoop her up and once again warm her properly in the comfort of her bed—or maybe his bed this time. Shoving those thoughts aside, he returned to the task he'd been planning all morning. He cleared his through, focusing on her crystal blue eyes. "Last night, after we fought, I came up to this tower. It's the most prominent tower in the house. I thought maybe, just maybe, I might find another clue so that we could go back to being friends and having fun on this old hunt."

Gwen's face softened and he'd swear a sheen of tears glassed over her eyes. "And what did you find?"

He extended a hand and without hesitation she slipped her fingers into his palm. "You won't believe it." He led her to the rounded stone wall beneath the narrow frosted window. "I poured over these walls and found a loose stone right here." He released her hand and jiggled the the stone out of the wall. Gwen leaned close as he reached into the wall and withdrew a small wooden box.

"You found it! You finished the hunt."

"We found it, Gwen. You and I together, as a team." He placed the box in her hands.

"What's inside?"

"I didn't open it yet. I wanted for us to do it together."

Her eyes sparkled as she turned the wooden box in her hand and opened the lid. She reached within and gently withdrew a lovely gold chain with a delicate star pendant dangling on the end. "It's beautiful," she murmured. "There is a slip of paper in the bottom.

Anthony reached into the box, and read the paper allowed. "The North Star, my love. You are my guiding light and my anchor when I find myself adrift."

They fell silent for a long moment.

Finally, Anthony returned the paper to the box, took it from Gwen's hands and set it on the window ledge. He took the necklace from her hands and gently, reverently, fastened the clasp behind her neck. He ran his fingers down the chain to the pendent nestled on her chest. "That is exactly how I feel about you." He settled both hands on her upper arms, and gazed deep into her eyes. "I don't know which of my ancestors put together this scavenger hunt or why this treasure is still here, but I must thank him because it brought me to you." He took a knee before her and held her free hand between his. "Gwendolyn Kensington Stratford, I vow to love, honor, and cherish you all the days of my life. From this day forward will you be my wife in every way? Will you be my Valentine forevermore?"

Tears sparked in Gwen's eyes as she pressed her free hand to her face. "Love?"

"Yes, Gwen. I love you. I wasn't ready for marriage or to be a lord three years ago, but I am now. I want to build our lives together, here."

"Oh, Anthony," her voice cracked on a sob.

He stood, sliding his arms around her waist. "Why are you crying, my love?"

She grinned down at him, tears streaming down her cheeks. "Because I am so happy." She threw her arms around his neck, and launched into his embrace. "Yes, Anthony, I will be your Lady Valentine, today and always!"

THE END