Chapter Five

Five

Whatever gift or treasure this ancient letter spoke of couldn't possibly still be hidden somewhere in the manor. Surely this past Lord had simply given the gift to his wife or some servant had long since found and made off with it, but... Gwen positively sparkled with enthusiasm. Her luminous eyes glowed with happiness and prospects, her cheeks were high and rosy with color, and gazing into her smiling face Anthony couldn't help but be taken in by her excitement.

"Do you really think so?" he asked.

"Yes!"

"Very well," he said, warming to the prospect of the scavenger hunt because it meant spending time with Gwen. "Where should we start?"

Gwen's brow furrowed thoughtfully, and she nibbled at her lower lip. "The chapel!"

Anthony quirked a brow. "The chapel?"

"Yes, of course." She leapt to her feet and reached for his hand. "Think about it. One lifetime occurs on one day in one hour."

Her meaning hit in an instant. "A wedding." He grinned, spirits rising to the occasion just a bit. "That is very clever." He stood, and gave her hand a tug, leading them out of the library.

"Where are we going?" Gwen asked, fingers still curled within his. "The chapel is the other way."

"Yes, but that is not the original chapel," Anthony explained, tossing a wink over his shoulder. The original chapel is in the western corner of the castle. I don't think anyone has used it since the addition was built eighty years ago."

"Oh, I see." Gwen skipped a couple of steps to catch up with him. "Is there anything left in the old chapel?"

"I'm not really certain," Anthony replied honestly. "It has been years since I've stepped foot in there. No one uses that part of the building any longer. It wasn't renovated with the rest."

"In that case we'd better get some lamps or candles. I'd wager there aren't any down there."

"Good thinking," Anthony replied. "This way."

After a quick detour to gather up candles and an oil lamp, Anthony and Gwen made their way to the old chapel. The walls and floor of the old wing were made up of stone dressed with tapestries and narrow rugs.

"My goodness," Gwen murmured, her wide blue eyes gazing about the ancient hall. "This wing is positively Medieval."

"I've always rather liked it." Anthony smiled back at her. "My cousin and I used to play down here and pretend we were knights. My grandfather caught us playing with real swords once and forbid us to come back down here. He told us we'd put an eye out."

"I imagine that didn't stop the two of you from coming back."

Anthony grinned. "Not in the least, and as you can see I still have both my eyes."

Gwen laughed and stopped before the heavy door of the chapel.

"Hold this." Anthony handed her the oil lamp and tried the door. The latch groaned after years of neglect, but opened without too much difficulty. He stepped inside and Gwen followed, bathing the old chamber in golden lamplight.

"Oh, my," she murmured, moving slowly into the room. "It's beautiful." Ornate carvings lined the walls and ceiling, and a mural hung behind the wooden altar. She weaved through the various crates and items stacked half-hazard about the room.