Chapter Three

Three

Cold and exhausted, Gwen was utterly beyond emotion as she trudged down the road behind Valentine for a solid half hour. Every so often he glanced back to ensure she was still in tow, but otherwise he said nothing, his face a pensive mask. She couldn't imagine why he wasn't frozen half to death. The wet blood on his arm must be completely frozen and he wore even less than she to guard against the elements. Perhaps rage kept him warm. No doubt he blamed her for this entire debacle. As if anyone could have predicted highwaymen would attack.

Gwen sighed, battling misery. This was undoubtedly the worst night of her life.

For a few minutes during the raid, and again while she'd bound his injured arm, they'd seemed to... connect. But now... now his mannerism was as cold as the night air. What did he want from her?

A particularly frigid gust of wind blasted along the road, snatching the shallow breath from her lungs. Instinctively she braced and turned away from the biting wind. She curled blood-crusted numb fingers into her palm and tucked her fists under her arms, fighting back tears. Oh, heavens, Gwen, don't cry! Tears would only freeze to her face and invite more misery.

"I'm sorry, Gwen."

She glanced up to find Valentine striding back to her. Shockingly he looked rather worried. She didn't step away when he wrapped a sheltering arm around her shoulders, but instead snuggled into the nook beneath his shoulder. He didn't have much heat to offer, but then neither did she. "I-I don't th-think-k we'll r-reach the estate Ton-night," she chattered.

"It isn't much further, but there is an inn just around that bend. We'll stop there." He urged her forward. "Keep moving. It will help warm you."

Shivering Gwen looked ahead, a curl of smoke drifted up over the trees. "You must be fr-freezing. It's g-getting c-colder by the min-nute."

Uninjured arm secured firmly around her, Valentine actually chuckled. "If you can believe it, I've suffered through worse conditions than this in the army."

Gwen glanced up in surprise. "Y-you were in the army?" How had she not known such a crucial detail about the man she'd married?

"For about two years," he replied, and the rumble of his baritone vibrated through her. It was comforting. "I was discharged and shipped home after my cousin passed away."

"Your cousin... He was the heir then?"

"Yes," Valentine replied. "My grandfather raised us both since we were just boys. Theo and I were more like brothers than cousins."

Gwen fell silent, divesting this new information. Unfortunately, she was entirely too cold and tired to contemplate its significance.