Chapter Fifteen

A/N: Short chapter (only 700 words) and I'm gonna do something a little unconventional here (because it's fanfic, not a manuscript) and switch things up momentarily to give you ten year old Edward, in third person pov. I will switch back to first person pov to deliver seventeen year old Edward right after this one. I want to make sure you understand Edward as much as possible, and this worked best for me. I'll post in separate chapters so they aren't confused. Hope this gives a tiny bit of insight into who Edward really is, and most importantly why, lol.

EDWARD

Two weeks into the school year, the afternoon sun beams rays through the large windows in Miss Taylor's fourth grade classroom.

Edward likes it in the afternoons, when his teacher calls the class to the rug for story time, because the girl with the brown hair and the brown eyes always sits beside him.

Small shoes and knees huddle together and come in close, on the brightly colored circle rug, to hear Miss Taylor read aloud.

The children all sit criss-cross applesauce and Edward's knee touches the brown haired girl beside him, and she doesn't mind. He knows her name but he doesn't think she knows his yet, though she's always nice to him. He noticed yesterday that the sticker on her desk says Isabella but she crossed out the Isa with a red marker, so now it just says bella.

As the pages turn, the kids look to each other, smiling and laughing.

Bella covers her mouth when she giggles and Edward quickly thinks how her brown eyes remind him of his mother's. It reminds him that his mother is still gone and he feels hints of sadness for missing her, but those feelings are quickly dismissed when his attention goes back to the funny story.

.

.

.

Three months into the school year Edward decides that he likes Bella... but he's a bit shy to tell her this, so he decides to put a note in her book bag. That afternoon, when Bella gets into her father's car, a folded piece of notebook paper with a race car drawn on the back, falls from the front pocket of her book bag... never to be opened or read by her, but lost to the wind and debris.

.

.

.

A month goes by and Edward has only thought once about the note with the check box and the race car he drew on the back of it. He assumes that she doesn't like him back, though she's still nice to him. He has other worries on his mind now. It's been a long time since his mother left, and he's losing hope that she'll come home.

.

.

.

School's going to be out for summer soon and Edward hasn't forgotten that his mom still hasn't come home. He misses the sandwiches she used to pack him in his lunchbox.

On pizza and burger days, Bella shares her lunch with Edward because most of the time the pizza is cold in the middle, or the burger is still frozen in places.

Edward's friend Stephen talks about the go kart his parents got him for his birthday and he thinks about how fun it would be if he could have one too, because he's always been fascinated with anything on wheels. He especially likes his four wheeler. It doesn't go as fast as he would like it to, but he enjoys riding it through the yard and the woods behind his house. He doesn't think about his mom leaving when he's riding.

.

.

.

When Edward asks his dad when his mom is coming back, he answers differently this time, and says she probably never will. Edward doesn't believe his father. She would never leave him. She loves him.

.

.

.

It's the end of the school year and six days have passed since Bella's desk has been empty. The teacher took her name tag off the desk and moved it to the back of the room. After lunch the teacher tells the class, "Isabella has moved to Arizona," when some of the girls ask.

Edward hears this and feels kind of glad that the girl whose eyes reminds him of his mother's, left... but he doesn't understand why it makes him feel sad for the rest of the day.

A/N: This will be the only third person pov. Next up is a much longer chapter; seventeen year old Edward's POV.