Chapter Twenty-One

With my cheek to his neck, and my chin on his shoulder, it feels exhilarating as we ride under a navy sky that glows bright with stars.

At least one star falls about every four minutes on the ride, sometimes increasing to a few per minute, but I can't catch them all while riding.

We ride deep into the hills and when he comes upon a large boulder off to the side, he pulls into the sand beside it.

After the bike is parked and we're off, I look up to the huge sky above. It's insanely beautiful and clear. A perfect night for this. The air is crisp, not cold... it's comfortable.

He takes my hand, tugging me towards the boulder— pointing to the place we're headed.

I carefully place my foot in the notches as he holds onto me. We climb on top of the smallest boulder that connects to the larger one.

The thought of Briggs most likely staring at my asscheeks hanging out of these shorts as he follows me from below, gives me a devious thrill. The thought of him seeing me, makes me wonder if I do to him what he does to me.

Once we reach the highest, flattest peak where we sit side by side, knees tucked to our chests, we take in the sky.

It's amazing up here, we can see it all. No city lights to interfere, just us, the desert, the moon and the stars.

I catch a glow skitter through the darkness and I point.

"Did you see that one?" I ask him with a smile on my face, noticing him staring at me.

"Nah. I missed it."

"Look over there, near the little dipper." I point above and to the right and he lays back, stretching his legs out, putting his hands behind his head.

I do the same.

We're quiet, just watching. Scared that our voices might scare the stars away.

Just then, a tiny yellow burst catches my eye and we both see it this time. Another, glowing white streak follows just seconds after and there's nothing more inspirational and wondrous. It's a feeling that fills me up and overwhelms. Happiness.

"Makes me think of Charlie." I say quietly.

"I was just thinking of my parents." He speaks up.

"Can I ask you a question?" I say and he sits up on his elbows, answering, "Of course," before looking back to me.

His face shines under the moonlight and his sheer beauty takes my voice for a minute.

"You have to be honest with me, okay? Promise the truth, no funny stuff, I want a real answer, deal?"

"Bella, I'll only ever tell you what's true." He says this with a serious face, his eyes burning into mine.

"Only what's true?"

"Yeah... what's true."

I look back out, lifting my head a little more to the right, noticing how this one star twinkles so much faster than the others.

"Where do you see yourself in the future, and don't laugh, I'm serious."

He chuffs. "Am I for hire now? Is this an interview?"

"No, I'm serious." I slide over just close enough that I can nudge him with my elbow. "You don't ever think about the future? What's going to happen to you, where you'll end up?"

"I think about that shit all the time. But, I just can't see that far ahead. Never been able to. I make goals, stick to them and just keep on."

He adjusts his watch and puts his other hand behind his head. "I mean, I know that I won't be doing this shit for the rest of my life. Won't be living here forever."