Day 3: Night

Ava D7

The ground is still hot from this morning. Deep cracks have ripped through the ground leaving it turned up and raw.

The ground was dropping so fast, I was scared I wasn't going to make it. We ran for what felt like an hour but was surely only 10 minutes. Willow kept telling me to run faster pulling me along with her. She's too trusting, it could be her downfall.

"I'm going to find some water" Lacey mutters.

I watch as she gets up, carelessly stepping over the cracks. I reach down and feel my ankle, finding my knife securely in place underneath my sock. A smile creeps into my face imagining what I'm about to do.

I wait several minutes before I too get up and tell the other girls "I'm going to the toilet"

"Okay, be careful" Willow smiles.

I skirt around a big crack and head into the trees at a slightly different spot than Lacey had minutes before. The ground crunches softly under my feet, the loose rubble moving.

After little searching I see the older girl standing in front of a wide tree banging on its trunk. I bend down carefully and take the knife out from my sock. The blade is small, but sharp.

I pick up a nearby rock in my other hand before standing up. She has no idea I'm right behind her, about to kill her.

I imagine her family back home squirming, urging her to turn around.

"Sorry" I mouth to the sky with a grin, shrugging my shoulders.   

I grip the knife loosely and throw the rock to the right of Lacey and watch her look to the rock laying on the grind. She carefully steps towards it bending down to examine it.

Knowing my time is now I race towards her and leap into the air.

She doesn't have time to react before my knife is dug into her back and my hand is wrapped over her mouth. I pin her to the ground and quickly pull her onto her back. She fights against me, hitting me in my ribs as I struggle to control her. She's stronger then me so I have to get this over with quickly. Her eyes lock onto mine and I can see the hate raging behind them. I quickly sit on her stomach and pin her arms down with my feet.

"I'm sorry, Lacey" I whisper, leaning towards her "I didn't want to have to kill you. In fact I thought we would be friends, but you doubted me and you made that pretty obvious to the others. Unlucky for you, your stupid friends didn't believe you."

She bucks her legs out, trying to push me off her. My foot slips from her arm and she claws at my face.

"Stop it" I spit at her.

I lift the knife higher into the air and watch her eyes grow wide. Smiling sweetly at her I whisper "Now... I'm going to kill you, and I'm going to make it look like you did it"  

There's nothing she can do as I drag the blade quickly across her throat. I watch as she struggles grasping at her throat, trying to stop the blood flow. Her body becomes limp under mine and I grab her hand carefully placing the knife in it.

The cannon blasts and I jump off her body. I listen for a moment before running off into the trees.

Willow and Brooke are coming and I need to be gone when they get here.

Unknown POV

"Hello everybody and welcome to the third mandatory viewing of this years Hunger Games!" The young host exclaims a grin plastered on her face.