District 6 Reaping

District 6- Ashton Ford

The bell rings out through the station signalling the end of my shift. I look down at the piece of track in front of me and see a screw that's slightly come undone so I bend down to screw it back on tighter. Using all the muscles in my arms I twist the screw until I'm happy that it's tight enough. Standing up I wipe my hands on my pants leaving long, black streaks form the oil on my hands. I walk down the train track with my hands in my pockets until I reach the familiar ditch in the ground which leads to my house. I puch open the wooden door and the smell of fresh bread swarms my senses as I look around and see three loaves sitting on the table.

A smile creeps onto my face as a little pair of arms wrap around my waist.

"Ashton! We have bread, quickly before it gets cold!" My little sister Poxy yells.

"Sure, Poxy just let me wash up" I reply with a laugh.

I race to the bathroom and turn on the shower as a stream of luke-warm water trickles out of the rusty shower head. I finish up in the shower and put on my reaping outfit that is laying on mine and Apollo's bed. Apollo has only just turned 12 and is extremely worried going into his first reaping. He knows that he'll never be going into the Games but he's scared that the inevitable will happen if he gets picked, that I'll volunteer. I love my family more than anything in the world and I would do anything if it meant their safety was guaranteed.

I walk back to the table to find my whole family sitting there with the bread neatly sliced and a thin layer of goats cheese spread on the top.

An uncomfortable silence fills the room as everyone stares at either me or Apollo.

"He's not going to get picked, don't worry everyone!" I exclaim.

Their eyes flick up to meet mine but return back to their plates when I don't say anything else.

I really worry what would happen if I was to enter the games. Poxy and Apollo are only young and I although I have told them over and over that they aren't to take tessera, ever, I'm scared what would happen if they did. That's why I take as much tressera as I can. Both my parents work, and earn enough to provide for our family but my mum falls in and out of deep states of sadness, ever since her sister's death in The 170th Hunger Games. She can't help it but when she disappears it's up to my Dad and me to provide and even then we struggle so if I wasn't here, I don't even want to think about what would happen.

I look up to the clock and see that the reaping starts in five minutes so I stand up from the table and tell Apollo it's time to leave. We both give Mum and Dad hugs before I turn to Poxy and playfully touch her little noise.

"Bye Pox" I say, to which she returns a giggle.

Apollo and I walk the short distance to the town square and find that the mayor has already begun talking so we stand in the outside of the pens where the late comers stand. I nervously wipe my hands down my pants. The mayor hands the microphone over to our escort who is wearing some ridiculous dress and an even crazier hat. I think he name is Korina but I can'r be sure.

"As usual, ladies first..." she says "Pleo..."

"I volunteer!" Someone exclaims.

A pretty brunette walks out of the 15 year old section, her eyes franticly scanning the pens. She steps onto the stage and announces her name as, Myah Dighton.

"Wonderful!" The female escort shrieks "Now for the Boys.." she says as she dips her name into the bowl.

"Apollo Ford!"

I feel my body turn stiff.

I can't hear anything because my ears ring, why are they ringing?

A movement happens next to me as people part to let Apollo through.

I stare at Apollo in shock as he makes his way to the stage.

He crosses his arms aver his chest and hangs his head. He knows whats coming. I follow after him and reach out when he's a arm distance away and pull him behind me.

"I volunteer!" I exclaim in a voice that doesn't sound like my own.

"Go home Apollo" I say through gritted teeth "Go... home"

Tears threaten to well up in my eyes but I don't let them fall. I can't be seen as a weakling.

I walk up to the microphone and say "I'm Ashton Ford, 15"

I go and stand next to Myah who is looking down at her shoes and wait for our escort to finish up before we are lead into the Justice building. I see the mayor walk into another room and I run after him before he can shut the door. He stares up at me in shock but his eyes soften when he sees who I am.

"You...have to help them...please. Will you do it? Please just make sure they are alright!" I practically yell in his face.

Before I can get an answer a pair of strong arms grip around my waist and yank me backwards.

"NOO! Stop my family!" I cry

As I'm pulled out of the room I see the mayor giving me a small, sad nod. Relief washes through me, they're going to be okay, even if I'm not.

---------------------------