Day 4: Night

Kai Lumen D4

Two days. Two days of pain, torture and haunted thoughts. Two incredibly long days, that seem like an eternity, without Coral.

Pain seers through my head, increasing with every forced step I take. A scream bubbles in my throat threatening to spill over my chapped lips, but I swallow it.

The boy from District 7, walks in front of me his head tilted towards the sky as he scans the tree tops. He yanks the rope attached to my wrists forward, pulling my body with it.

"Your too slow" He hisses sending an elbow into my gut.

I double over in pain as the air I so desperately need, refuses to seep into my lungs.

"Hurry up and walk or I'll add another cut to your pretty little back"

I hunch over as I walk behind the tall boy again.

Tears fill my eyes, and even my own eyes betray me as they send the liquid tumbling down my checks despite me trying so hard to keep them at rest.

This isn't me. This isn't who I was meant to be. I can't imagine how my parents are feeling as they watch their son fight to stay alive. I wonder if they are even watching or if they're already mourning my death before it's been spread across the sky.

We walk for a short amount of time before the Gamemakers turn out the lights and the sky becomes dark yet again.

Rowan pulls me behind him to an area of shrubbery underneath a tall tree.

"We are staying here, and like I told you last night." He says with a smirk "don't think you can outsmart me or outplay me, because your deadly wrong."

He loops his end of the rope around the base of the tree before bringing it back to where he started and securing it to the section around my wrists, trapping me.

I watch as he lays against the tree trunk and slowly closes his eyes as he grows tired with the day. I don't dare move until his breathing slows and I know he is asleep.

Shuffling as quietly as possible my body wishes to be comfortable.

I stare at the boy as he sleeps and wonder how he became so deranged. Surely something must of happened to him to make him this way.

I rest my head against the crumbly base of the tree, letting the rough surface dig into my head.

I feel my mind grow foggy as sleep pulls me slowly into her grasp.

My eyes long to shut. To bring me back to my district four home, and far away from the world I'm trapped in.

My hands long to move. To twist and pull on ropes, only not for evil purposes, simply to put food on the family table.

My mind longs to dream. To dream the pleasant kind, not the kind where I'm unsure if I'm sleeping or awake.

A shift in the moon light pulls me from my daze and I peer through the shrubs to the opening.

That's when I see it.

A figure stands there, silhouetted by the bright moon at their back. I open my mouth to wake the boy next to me but, as though my tongue is filled with lead, no words come out.