Chapter 2: The lesser of two evils?

I pulled myself up begrudgingly from the solid mattress slowly unclear as to when my next chance to rest would be, I had to keep a distance from this sorcerer, I donned my armor with care, it was my last connection to my father blood aside and I had no intention of disrespecting it, being my only valuable possession. I no longer have any of my magical supplies to hand and I had yet to commit the spells to memory, they were new and I had made a few changes, I had used my blood this may have bound me to the spell and it is true that I had been unable to see the result of my conjuring due to being exposed as a blood mage.

I hadn't practiced magic since that fateful day due to the fear of it drawing in my pursuer, being on the run forever was no way to live, I was exhausted but aware to come out of hiding would throw a spot light upon the reason for my exile and to be labelled a blood mage would lead to every community banishing me, they did not understand my power, they only feared it and fear can make people stupid, and stupidity I had seen lead to rash actions, so I like my mother was forced to hide my gift so I would not scare the normal people, an outcast, it is this surrounding ignorance I saw painted upon the faces of the villagers which is what lead me to practice in secret.

I felt like my hands were tied, either way I had to leave the room, I thought of Kian and wondered if I would see him again after the confusion of last night, as I descended the steps I noticed the inn was empty, it was very strange to see the place so still and peaceful it gave it an eerie feel, a sense of danger made me leave hastily. Stepping outside I realized I had tarried too long here as the light was no longer blinding me but slowly fading over the horizon, I didn't have much time to put distance between me and the sorcerer, I broke into a light jog which in armor is more strenuous than it looks, feeling the sweat gather after only a few feet, as I pulled away from the town the grassland seemed to stretch-out in front of me, even as my muscles began to ache I could only see more grass land, nowhere to hide and the light was almost gone, I felt apprehensive as the world began to darken, the beautiful blue sky dulled into a deep and darker blue, the warmth of the sun dissipated replaced by a the light chill of dusk, visibility began to lessen and soon I was walking slowly through a sea of darkness barely able to see inches in front of me.

I searched the horizon for any solid form, my eyes played tricks as shadows danced in the distance as a trick of the mind, my eyes adjusted slowly to the darkness as I marched on, I felt completely exposed in the middle of a field, no shelter, no money and nowhere to hide. I heard that unmistakable cry echo around me unable to tell its origin, only able to turn round in a panicked circle, I could not distinguish anything in the distance, I began to run forward my muscles straining from the earlier effort, I halted suddenly as I discerned a small figure moving toward me in the distance, I had the sinking feeling I recognized that dark shadow slowly closing in upon me, it was the black dog it had finally caught up with me, as the silhouette became clear, I felt a sense of dread, I would not out run this beast. Its ears were pointed, intimidating for a medium sized dog, it seemed to saunter up to me like an assured predator closing in upon its prey, it stood before me its cold eyes fixed upon me and its sharp teeth bared "Good boy"

My heart sank when I heard his voice, as he approached the dog it seemed to relax but kept a dark beady eye upon me as his master approached me, long dark hair, a strange yet handsome face, his eyes were dark yet piercing as he glared down at me, slender yet masculine physique overshadowed me, unsure as to whether he was human as I regarded him fleetingly with a fearful glance "I knew I would catch up with you eventually, why did you wake me from my slumber?"

"I woke you?" I stammered.

He narrowed his eyes "Your blood magic called me to rise" his eyes widened as if he had just had a sudden horrifying realization "You are a stupid little girl who didn't know what she was messing with aren't you!" he spat.

I had no idea what the right answer was as I tried to create space between us slowly hoping to go unnoticed "It is strange that a novice would have the power to bring me forth" he pondered.

He began to circle me eyeing me like a hungry lion, as his faithful hound watched on to assure me I had no means of escape, I still had no words, I felt like my ability to articulate had been frozen, it began to feel like one of my nightmares, I pinched at my skin, wincing as I felt the pain, this only confirmed my worst fears that I was awake and I was trapped alone in a field with a dark mage with no sense of humanity "You are awake trust your senses"

I looked to him shocked that he had observed what I had thought such a careful motion his voice was deep and smooth as he continued to taunt me, he sounded so assured, I on the other hand when I formed words sounded alike a tiny frightened mouse as my voice tremored "Why did you track me down?"

"We have been following who we thought to be a powerful dark mage but I see I am mistaken, well no sense in disappointing us both, my hell hound can have you"

The dog began to growl, I found a semblance of confidence to either stall the inevitable or save my life "Wait, I am a powerful mage but in this time magic is banished only to dark corner's we are forced to practice in secrecy so I have been unable to perform magic of any kind for some time, I have no materials for spells and my Grimoire is lost to me, my town exiled me for using magic"

"It has been an age since I brought destruction upon this world and I has been longer still since I had a protégée, are you willing to walk into shadow with me?"

I had the feeling I had no choice in the matter, it may have been in the form of a question but my other option was not appealing, as I glanced at the hell hound lolling blood hungry tongue, salivating over the sides of its sharp teeth, was there a lesser of two evils, I did not feel ready or equipped to make this choice but I had to move as both appeared to become impatient at my indecision, the hell hound drew closer and I hastily took his out stretched hand "I will make you more powerful than you ever dreamed possible"