Chapter 16

I'm starting to think they'll never come back. They have left me too deal with Phil and get him through uni and interrogate his future lover and grandfather his children and see his new house and then he'll hold my hand as I lay on my deathbed and... wow. One day in and I've lost my mind.

"Phil?" I call out and a rustle comes from the room over. A large crash follows.

"Ow!" Phil yelps. I scramble up and hurry towards his room. Sliding on my black socks.

"You okay?"

"Yeah." Phil mutters, his voice is groggy and I can almost feel him wincing through the door.

"What did you do?"

"Rolled off my bed."

I giggle, trying to muffle it with my hand before Phil hears. Regardless he does.

"It's not funny!"

"Okay okay. It's not funny. I'll keep my mouth shut."

We sit in silence for a few seconds, the sound of fabric moving coming from Phil's side of the door.

"So how does someone just roll off the bed?"

"Hush!"

An hour later I've made home on the soft 'L' shaped couch. The curtains covering all windows and the newest seasons of Haikyuu! brightening my eyes.

Phil is still in his room and I understand completely why. It's around 9am at the moment and while this is my normal wake up time I don't see Phil until at least 12 or even 2. Not to mention he's also a heavy sleeper, a damn fire alarm couldn't wake that boy.

I've gotten together what food will sustain me for the next 24 hours and for some odd reason my mind floats to the Lester's.

They are a weirder family than anticipated, sure they were excited to welcome me in but they also were so easy to just up and go. Mrs. Lester hasn't even texted me in all of the time she's been gone. Nor has Mr. Lester.

Also their tempers, they snap off so fast. Mrs. going for tears and Mr. for anger. Growing up with such a roller coaster family must have been tough, and with whatever happened to Rose things must be terrifyingly scary for everyone.

I sigh and toss my laptop aside. No more anything for today. I just want to sleep forever.

Laying back I pull my blanket over my shoulders and yawn.

A large snapping sound comes from the stairway, followed by a loud curse and a set of large bangs.

'Fuck.' I think, flinching and bolting upright. "Phil?"

"Dan." Phil says, his voice almost a whisper. I hurry to my feet and find him at the foot of the stairs, gripping his hand, breathing heavy.

"What happened?" I ask, crouching down next to him. Cupping his face in my hands on pure motherly instinct.

"I think that fall fucked up my finger. I tried to grab the railing and fuck-" Phil shudders as he attempts to move the damaged digit. "I think it's broken."