Chapter 17

I'm re bandaging up Phil's injured finger when the garage door screeches, signaling somebody is opening it.

"I'm going to take a shower." Phil straightens up quickly.

"Okay, give me a second." I walk over to the counter and open one of the smaller draws were the Ziplocs are located.

Phil gets antsier as I try to find the right one, hopping around and biting his lip. The garage door starts to shut again and as I find it.

He swipes the bag from between my fingers and walks up the stairs two at a time. "Thanks."

"Yeah."

Lyda is the first through the door, a large rolling suitcase under her arm and a smile on her face. "Danny!"

I wave, smiling awkwardly as she steps towards me. Every part of me is screaming at her to get away, still angry that she up and left Phil the way she did but there's no stopping her now. She pulls me into a quick side hug and hurries into the kitchen.

"What's this?" She asks and picks up the bandages and scissors from the counter. Internally I cringe but keep a wide smile on the outside.

"We just had a little accident. Nothing big I can assure you."

"Oh wait happened?" Her lips have gone tight and I can feel myself slowly blanching.

"Phil fell down the stairs, fractured his finger. It isn't broken though he just needs to wear a cast so it can heal over."

Lyda smiles falsely, Harold finally busting through the door with a few shopping bags and the same clothes he left on.

My body is tingling nervously as he sets his things down. He makes contact with Lyda and a mental conversation goes on. Lyda narrows her eyes. Harold smiles wide.

Suddenly Lyda flings her hand up, moving it in a sweeping motion towards the stairs. Harold makes a happy noise of triumph, when he grabs her bag Lyda leans close and whispering something in audible in his ear. I raise my eyebrow as he nods and rushes to safety. 

"Daniel. Could we talk for a minute?"

My body begins to tense and I give her a once over. Shakily taking a seat in the chair closest to me. One pushed up to the table.

It feels like an intervention, Lyda taking her seats directly across me. Sat straight and staring at her palms.

"Dan..." Lyda starts.

My heart is beating in my chest, I can feel the warmth leave my face as they shuffle uncomfortable and Lyda begins to speak.

"We need to ask you, a favor."

I pull my sleeves over my hands, biting my lips nervous. What could I possibly do for her?

"A few nights ago we um, decided. That we wanted to get Phil some... professional help."

"Alright." This is a good decision. Phil really needs somebody to vent too. My eyes flicker between hers and her hands, nervously picking at her ring, trying to see where I fit into this.