What's the problem?

Recklessly I grab hold of my hair and transfer it from one hand to the other as I messily wrap my brown hair into a high pony. I pace in place for a few seconds to get myself pumped up as I look into the mirror.

“You are gunna go out there and you are gunna run. You’re gunna run the best run of your life, and you will not give up at the end of the driveway to come back here and eat that vanilla ice cream you have in the freezer” I stop suddenly and stare at the freezer, hmmm “ No! No, no ice cream! You don’t even want it! Let’s go! See you later Timmy” My pet fish just stares blankly at me while I leave the apartment and lock it behind me.

I start running, and continue for a good amount of time, Hmmm you seem a little tired Sabrina, How bout some ice cream? “No, no, no inner voice, and besides, we are miles from home” I whisper breathlessly Well that shaved ice place you’ve always wanted to try is right there. I look up and find my inner self wasn’t lying to me, there it is, Get Shaved. “Okay damn it, you broke me down.” I whisper as I stop running and get in line. The line moves rapidly and I still have no idea what I’m going to get, oh god.

“Next” the lady calls. Next? What? Next, is that me? I point at myself and she nods, I turn around to make sure she isn’t nodding at someone else. Behind me is a boy with long hair and he is pretty tall. His hazel eyes shine at me, I can’t stop staring into them, they have taken me captive. He smiles at me and leans down to my ear.

“I think that’s you” He whispers, poking my shoulder and then pointing at the small window.

“Oh!” I slap my forehead “I’m such a ditz, um, I’ll just—“ I finish off my sentence by pointing to where I’m going to walk to next to the window.

“Hi—uh let’s see. Wha—what do you have?” I ask nervously

“Well we have everything in the board up there, or you can make your own, OR we have a secret menu with a ton of different selections like, Eye of Earl, Fireball, Funky Monkey, Vanilla Monster, Aloha Rainbow, Strawberry Fields Forever, Don’t Eat Yellow Snow, Dragons Breath, etc etc.” She lists them off nonchalantly smiling. I laugh a little, nervously leaning against the counter while looking behind me at the line of impatient people. The boy behind me raises an eyebrow questioningly, I just send him a little wave. Slowly I turn around with a forced smile on my lips.

“Could you, um, possibly tell me what’s in all of those?” I whisper to her. She kinda steps back a bit.

“Well yes ma’am I could, but I’m afraid it might take a while you see—“ I feel a hand on my shoulder and I turn to see the boy.

“What’s the problem?” He asks lightly.

“I’m kinda overwhelmed with all these names, I can’t decide what to get” I whisper nervously. He eyes me up and down for a second.

“Hmm, you look like a Monkey Brains kinda girl to me” he says while tapping his lips, he then quickly turns to the woman while grabbing his wallet out. “Two Monkey Brains please”

“Oh no, no” I say realizing what he’s doing “let me pay for myself”