Chapter 82

My knees gave way in the second step I took.

That was when a wailing witch rose to her feet to approach me with hurt filled eyes.

"Why?" She sobbed. "Why did you do it? We were leaving. W.. we had agreed to leave and yet.. yet you... you.. took my husbands life."

I looked on with mute horror at the wrangled mess that had been her husband. They had agreed to leave. They had stepped out of what was the battle arena but my curse had followed them catching up and divesting the lives that had wished me dead. It seemed a lot of people had wished for my death. Perhaps it wasn't such a bad thing to wish for. I would have wished for it too.

Looking around I did wish for it.

Perhaps I had been too hasty in giving Raven my wishing stone. 

Running away again?

The taunt in my head had my back stiffening in defence. I hadn't been running away before.

Hadn't you?

I refused to turn around to face him but then he was there looking down at me. But it was malice covering his features but worry. He was worried about me. Unable to do anything about it, he resorted to taunting me instead. Prefering my anger to my sorrow.

I didn't blame him. Sorrow was a yawning deep pit that only got wider and deeper the more one dwelled in it.

I should know having dwelled in it for most of my young life. Looking at all I wrought, it was clear I wasn't going to be any better off in the years to come.

Not until I ended all this.

But how?

Stop it! Stop beating yourself up about it.

I looked at him as if he was crazy.

His family had been all but halved. Those still standing were not at all enamoured with me. Though not all were dead. Those injured looked to be in great pain, clearly wishing they were dead.

Absentmindedly, my gaze settled on an elderly friend of the family. A new blood invited to the wedding. He was writhing about in pain, legs and arms at an odd and unlikely angle.

I stared hard at the distorted limbs abd watched as they straighted out with ease. His gaze shot to catch mine. The nod he offered was hesitant.

I nodded back.

A premptory finger prompted up my chin, jerking my attention back to Raven. Meeting his eyes, I saw all the love I didn't deserve shinning in their depths.

"Let's get to work shall we, " I said, nodding at all who needed our help. "There's certainly enough to go around."

His sigh was audible but he said nothing, merely moved on to the next victim of my assault.

We worked through them, righting wrongs and mending bones.

Those dead we straightened out and set aside. Cleaning up the spills and splashes of blood as we went.

With the rest of the guests in attendance joining in, and the relatives of those slain dropping by to fetch their deceased,  we rightened the place back to normal by night fall.

"We still have a marriage to conduct," said the old crow summoned to wed us. I didn't have the heart to say we were already wed. Had been since the night before. Raven had been attacked for naught. I had killed for naught.

But regret was a useless thing. Best left in the past.

Nodding my head, I accepted Raven's outstretched hand and moved to kneel before him. My blood splattered frock was fitting, this was no usual union. When two powers such as ours united, blood and death was inevitable.

Raising my head up to face Raven, I was glad I had worn black. It his the worst of the aftermath of all I unleashed. Still I was certain my face was as splattered as my hands. I reached out that hand now to accept Raven's.

The hymn he sang was soulful and contrary to the festivities that our wedding should be. But thought the tone was somber, the words he chanted remained the same. Uniting our souls and our love for all eternity.

Then he fell to his knees before me and I rose up to stand before him. My voice cracked as I started on the song. Sorriw was heavy in every syllable. I wept openly as I finished the tune.

Then Raven rose to his feet and the chant was started by the old crow but it was finished by another.

The bright light that shone upon us was indication enough but my eyes still sought frantic in my anxiety over the moon goddess's reactions. Was she anry with me?

The light dimmed and the Goddess was clear to all present. Her chant finished the song.

I was now formally wed to Raven by the moon goddess herself.

He smile was soft and clearly taunting as she reached out to shine her blessings on each of us and on our union. Then without so much as a by your leave, she reached out a preemptory finger and tugged the wishing stone off Raven's neck.

"Mine, I think," she tinkled out before smirking at me openly. The light in her eyes was unholy. "No one defies me."

I stared in shock at the vacant spot that previously held the Moon Goddess.