chapter four

His new life starts in a flash. One moment, he's in a dark box rapidly moving upwards, and in the next, he's being pulled up by a big, muscular boy. He lands heavily on the hard ground. His heart is beating fast, and his breathing is uneven. The scorching sun's rays are not gentle to his eyes, causing him to squint. He looks around him to see boys towering over him, muttering to each other with smirks on their faces. He doesn't remember much, but he does know one thing: He has to get out of here.

He brings himself up from the floor, and before he could think of anything else, he breaks into a sprint. The boys behind him start to shout now, but it is muted by the sounds of the wind brushing against his ears. His legs carry him as fast as they can, but he sees no exit. All he sees are the tall, grey walls at the end of the vast field. He carries on running, anyway.

He makes a sharp turn to his left, when his eyes catch a glimpse of an opening to the walls. His heart is drumming hard in his chest now, and all he focuses is just getting out. He turns his head back, seeing the group of boys walking towards him, and tries to speed up. Abruptly, he bumps into something, causing him to trip, and fall on the floor.

He curses to himself under his breath, and gets up slowly. The group of boys had suddenly ran up to him, but were crowding around something next to him. He frowns, and nudges past some boys to see what was happening.

On the floor, was a boy. His hair is blonde and shaggy, covering his eyes. He's tall, and slim, and his dirty clothes seem to hang on him. He wonders how he missed him, and how the boy hadn't seen him running towards him like that.

The boy that had pulled him up from the box, crouches next to the blonde. "Newt, you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm alright." 'Newt', speaks, his voice sounding different.

Another boy, who was much younger than the rest, emerges from the ground, tapping the muscular boy on the shoulder. In his hand, are two pieces of slender wood. "Gally, his cane's broken, must've snapped when he fell."

He frowns, why would this boy, Newt, need a cane?

Newt sighs, and shakes his head. "I'm alright, guys, really. Just help me get to the homestead, I've got a spare cane I could use."

Gally nods, and nudges the smaller boy. He grabs Newt's forearm, and pulls him up to his feet.

He watches the two boys leave the crowd. The taller boy, Newt, walks with a limp as the younger one guides him through the fields.

"You're going to the Slammer, slinthead." Gally says angrily in his ear.

Gally grabs his arm roughly, yanking him to another direction. The other boys around him glare at him as he walks past the crowd, all shaking their heads in spite.

He turns his head to the Gally. "Who was that?"

"Someone you really shouldn't have messed with." He snarls.

[a/n]

protective gally is now my favorite.
(btw I'm gonna be following the timing of the movie, not the book)

~ lexi